Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Can WSF be effectively tapped/threaded for screws?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Can WSF be effectively tapped/threaded for screws? [message #9684] Sun, 07 February 2010 20:27 UTC Go to next message
avatar CodeCreations  is currently offline CodeCreations
Go to my shop
I'm working up a small part that will attach to the bottom of a camera. It has a flange at the bottom that will allow it to be clamped into a special tripod. But I'm brand spankin' new to shapeways, and I haven't seen the materials except for on the videos.

My plan right now is to print it with a tap hole for the 1/4-20 UNC threads and tap the part when I receive it. Then I'll glue in the screw.

Will this work? Should I just add the threads to the model? (Is the detail good enough to print screw threads?) It is tapable?

Also, I'm assuming the "flexible" part of the name comes from when the parts are thin. If the flange is about 5mm thick will the flexibility go away enough to hold a camera? If it's just rubbery and squishy, then it won't work, but so long as the material holds together, it can give a just a little bit and still work fine.

Finally, does it compress? For example, if I pressed down on a solid piece with the shaft of a screwdriver with about 20lb / 10kg, would it dent or compress?

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!!
Re: Can WSF be effectively tapped/threaded for screws? [message #9691 is a reply to message #9684 ] Mon, 08 February 2010 00:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
Generally in plastic parts they do one of two things: put an metal insert with threads into a mounting boss in the plastic part, or simply drive a screw into the hole or mounting boss. The material should be soft enough to do the later.

I know some people have talked about tapping holes in the WSF, but in my opinion, I would just make the hole 1/4inch, then drive the screw into that hole. It should tap itself into the plastic. I really dont see the point in taping plastic parts.

If your tripod is anything like the tripods that I have seen before, I think that the wsf should be strong enough. However, I might recommend that you use the Gray Robust material because it is made from an ABS plastic. ABS is strong and resilient and might be better suited for your application. Plus it isnt a powder, it is an extruded plastic wire. Ive used it for mounting brackets for high torque 12volt motors and it help up really well.

As for compression, its pretty hard. Im sure you could dent it with a screwdriver, just like any other plastic. Same for the ABS plastic. But its definitely not rubbery and squishy.

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!
Re: Can WSF be effectively tapped/threaded for screws? [message #9692 is a reply to message #9684 ] Mon, 08 February 2010 00:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
I apologize for the double post, but i wanted to show these images of what shapeways calls Grey Robust, which is a FDM machine that uses ABS plastic. I printed mine at school, but its very strong, and this robot, with batteries, was probably 20+ pounds. The blue printed parts never broke.

For set screws, I just drilled a hole and screwed drywalls screws into it and it held together really well. I dont have pictures of the gripper assembly, but it was also printed on a FDM. I screwed machine screws into it to mount some motors and gears.

Let me know if you have any questions about this project!
index.php?t=getfile&id=2584&private=0

Bugger, only one file per message...let me know if you want to see a few other pics.

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!
Re: Can WSF be effectively tapped/threaded for screws? [message #9693 is a reply to message #9692 ] Mon, 08 February 2010 02:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
It is tappable, but most people go for the methods rawkstar suggested, using metal inserts in a boss or just screwing straight into it. The metal inserts are cheap, and available at any hardware store. Just get a soldering iron, pick up one of the inserts with the hot end of the soldering iron, and drive it into the boss slowly (it will melt in).
Re: Can WSF be effectively tapped/threaded for screws? [message #9696 is a reply to message #9684 ] Mon, 08 February 2010 06:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
This blog-post might be helpful :
http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/361-Screws-for-3D-pri nting.html

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Can WSF be effectively tapped/threaded for screws? [message #9702 is a reply to message #9684 ] Mon, 08 February 2010 09:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar iguffick  is currently offline iguffick
Go to all my models
I've been using threaded inserts for WSF. But that's mainly because I'm using M3 machine screws, so the thread is quite fine. The threaded inserts can just be pressed in if you get the hole size right. If you don't have a press, you can use a bench drill with a large drill in upside down, or carefully hammer them in. You don't need much pressure, the press just ensures they go in parallel.

See this post for a picture:-

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=1972&a mp;start=0&S=de91f4d55740a088dd59281a900a1183

I would have a fair bit of material surrounding the insert, so that it doesn't split.

Regards,
Ian.
Re: Can WSF be effectively tapped/threaded for screws? [message #9790 is a reply to message #9702 ] Tue, 09 February 2010 22:59 UTC Go to previous message
avatar CodeCreations  is currently offline CodeCreations
Go to my shop
Thanks, everyone. This is great info! Smile

I was planning to actually glue the screws into the plastic pieces -- the threads would be extra gluing surface in addition to resisting pull out. The end result would be like a plastic knob with a threaded metal shaft.

The inserts are a good idea, though -- I'll have to see who carries them in the area.

Thanks again! :

Previous Topic:Need casting advice.
Next Topic:Child Proof Paint & Other Questions

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.