Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Design » Casting, Escape Holes, and Internal Volumes.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Casting, Escape Holes, and Internal Volumes. [message #93393] Fri, 04 July 2014 17:47 UTC Go to next message
avatar StereoTypo  is currently offline StereoTypo
Go to all my models
I am currently working on small (24.51 x 32.53 x 6.90 mm) pendant that I intend to get cast in silver and have been trying to hollow out my model. Despite using Rhino3D, which is primarily a surface modelling program, I managed to create an internal volume by offsetting and assembling trimmed surfaces and combined them with extruded columns to form the internal volume and escape holes. The following images show the back of the normal model, the internal volume that defined the B-surface and ideas for supports (red) that would provide reinforcement / allow a chain to be easily guided to the other escape hole. index.php?t=getfile&id=64089&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=64090&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=64095&private=0
Will this fact that there are only small internal passages prevent casting material from properly filling the model? The two escape holes in the foreground are only 3mm in diameter for aesthetic reasons, as well, all escape holes are on the back of the piece. Will this be sufficient in this case?

Will the proposed supports, (note the perforated walls and division of the internal space ), cause issues with the flow of casting material?

If anyone has some advice it would be appreciated,

Thanks

• Attachment: render 0.jpg
    (Size: 120.58KB, Downloaded 88 time(s))

• Attachment: render 2.jpg
    (Size: 98.93KB, Downloaded 82 time(s))

• Attachment: Structure.jpg
    (Size: 164.96KB, Downloaded 84 time(s))

[Updated on: Fri, 04 July 2014 17:48 UTC]

Re: Casting, Escape Holes, and Internal Volumes. [message #93620 is a reply to message #93393 ] Tue, 08 July 2014 19:32 UTC Go to previous message
avatar numarul7  is currently offline numarul7
Go to my shop
I doubt will have any problems.

But best to test a print in Brass/Bronze polished.

Only problem I see it is the top two things as i draw in the screenshot

index.php?t=getfile&id=64451&private=0

B It lands on the hole a bit ?!
A Does that little column is under the 1 mm X 1 mm ?

It is kinda complex organic form you have here! :)

• Attachment: Structure.jpg
    (Size: 88.33KB, Downloaded 39 time(s))

numarul7 jewelry and design

Previous Topic:Sizing in Maya
Next Topic:Design rules for 3d printing

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.