Detail Engraving Help

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Charlesw723, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Charlesw723
    Charlesw723 Member
    I am working on a way to put a logo onto a surface and extruding that logo off the surface. I have run into a lot of thin wall issues if I want to extrude the logo off the surface just 1mm. Does anyone have some good tips for dealing with detailed engravings? I am trying to avoid making my surface bigger because it significantly increases the production costs. Pictures are attached of what I have been working on.

Attached Files:

2. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    You don`t need to extrude from surface. Put the extruded text over the surface until it touches the surface of the pendant like 0.20 and check in wireframe that it is heading enough in the surface of the pendant.

Shapeways software will glue it up.

Or use https://netfabb.azurewebsites.net/ for glue multiple shells and other designs like this type of pendant.

3. Charlesw723
    Charlesw723 Member
    Could you explain that differently? I don't quite understand what you are getting at

4. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  5. wedge
    wedge Member
    thats normal. The actual Thin surface check do not cover the cases wit engraving Detail.
    Read carefully the Hints for Engraving details for the material you want. If the thin surface char shows a lot of Yellow, ... that normal.
    letters.jpg
    This Model was Printed Successful. Of course the thin wall detector marks this, but because its engraving detail an no wall it will print fine.
    If this was you Question ...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014