Home » Support » 3D Design » How close can individual pieces be in one Obj?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How close can individual pieces be in one Obj? [message #93080] Mon, 30 June 2014 19:44 UTC Go to next message
avatar spamurai  is currently offline spamurai
Go to my shop
Hello there.

I was just wondering, if you have multiple components (or smaller models) in a larger model (Obj), how close together can you position each piece before uploading the model to Shapeways?

I'm trying to reduce things to see if I can bring the price down.

Thanks for you time.
I look forward to your responses.
Re: How close can individual pieces be in one Obj? [message #93081 is a reply to message #93080 ] Mon, 30 June 2014 20:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
There are min distances between shell to prevent fusing: these are detailed in the Materials pages. These pages will also tell you whether you are indeed allowed multiple shells in one model.

But you will not reduce prices by moving the shells closer together except for strong and flexible where getting a density of more than 10% and a volume of more than 20cm3 will get you a discount - in all other cases you are charge by the (total) volume of the actual shells.
Re: How close can individual pieces be in one Obj? [message #93083 is a reply to message #93081 ] Mon, 30 June 2014 20:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar spamurai  is currently offline spamurai
Go to my shop
Hey,
Thanks for taking the time to post. It's really appreciated.

Oh I see. My model is already a volume of 20.12cm^3 with a density of 27.83%. I take it that's as good it will get then.

Thanks again.
Re: How close can individual pieces be in one Obj? [message #93089 is a reply to message #93083 ] Mon, 30 June 2014 21:03 UTC Go to previous message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You won't get much benefit because the volume over 20cm3 is the part that gets the discount, I think.

Quote:

Density discount

We also offer a volume and density discount on Strong & Flexible materials. For models that have greater than 10% density (material volume divided by bounding box volume), volume above the first 20cm3 is calculated with a 50% discount.

Previous Topic:What should I specify in requirements for a 3D designer?
Next Topic:Size Tolerances for 3D Model Components

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.