Home » Support » 3D Design » Size Tolerances for 3D Model Components
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Size Tolerances for 3D Model Components [message #93031] Mon, 30 June 2014 13:46 UTC Go to next message
avatar spamurai  is currently offline spamurai
Go to my shop
Hello there.
This is my first time here so I hope I've posted this query in the correct place.

I'm building a 3D model with individual components that fit together once printed.

I'm unsure of the best way to describe it, so I have included this image for illustration purposes:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/3UiQT.png

As you can see, this cuboid has a cap that slots into it once it's 3D printed.
My question is, will they fit together if the edges are the same size (in this case 6mm and 24mm), or do I need to make the cap slightly smaller? if so, by how much? After all I don't want it to be loose, but I also need it to fit nicely.

I figure it may be fine if a bit of force is used as it's being printed in plastic here at Shapeways.

Thanks guys.
Re: Size Tolerances for 3D Model Components [message #93061 is a reply to message #93031 ] Mon, 30 June 2014 17:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
What plastic material are you planning on having the model printed in?
In my experience, Shapeways Frosted Ultra Detail is about the best tolerance fit (same dimensions) you can get, for the Strong & Flexible varieties, I find that maybe 0.1-0.2mm less on the lid (insert) portion side of things is ok, but not perfect.

Paul

Re: Size Tolerances for 3D Model Components [message #93078 is a reply to message #93061 ] Mon, 30 June 2014 19:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar spamurai  is currently offline spamurai
Go to my shop
Hey,
Thanks for taking the time to post a comment. It's much appreciated.

I plan to print it in the white/black strong and flexible plastic.
I have since adjusted the sizes to allow a tolerance of 0.1mm. I hope that's enough :)
If not, I may have to try the detailed plastic.

Thanks again.
Re: Size Tolerances for 3D Model Components [message #93090 is a reply to message #93078 ] Mon, 30 June 2014 21:09 UTC Go to previous message
avatar numarul7 is currently online numarul7
Go to my shop
Real life difference in measurements for WSF it is 0.20 mm error.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 June 2014 21:09 UTC]

numarul7 jewelry and design

Previous Topic:How close can individual pieces be in one Obj?
Next Topic:3D Modeling Help and Tips

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.