Problems with Engraved Text

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by kelleno, Jun 30, 2014.

1. kelleno
    kelleno Member
    This is my first go at using Shapeways, and I want to get this right. It's a necklace I designed for my girlfriend, who made the drumline at her college. When passed through the thin wall checker, it tells me that the "M" and "N" have some problems. the the little triangles at the corners of the letters are too thin, so it fixes them with a bit of a bubble effect... Which ends up filling up the engraved detail. I've attached the STL file, a screenshot of the before, and after.
    Ah, also, I'm looking to get it in polished brass. The curious part is that it passes the thin wall test for raw brass, yet fails polished brass. I know there's something about a risk of being damaged, or loss of detail, after being hand polished, but considering these details aren't in a high danger zone, I don't see what would go wrong. What are your opinions? I'm aware the text isn't perfectly spaced, it was actually just redone slightly to make the text further apart, I can go perfect spacing later. Thank you everybody!

Attached Files:

2. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
    Hi.

My advice about the "M" is that you let as it is.

The wall checking says here's an issue cause the software don't like pointed details and marks it, but in the manufacturing process this pointed edge usually gets a naturally softly.

Automatic fixing (blue) can't help you at all. Best you do is don't use it.

I think you have to use a wider font for the text. It's just in 0.4 mm., but you can design it in 0.45 mm and the results go over the limits and don't go to change the look at all.

But this model go be rejected as it is because the diameter of the sticks where begins the balls is 0.52 mm and had to be over 1.0 mm. Increase it to 1.2 mm, over the minimum unsupported wire limitation, and you go to be more sure.

Don't be worried if the auto thickness tells you some edge issues. The model gonna be manually checked before printed, and here is where they could find if there's real issues.

Good luck with your amazing design.

Best regards

Luis

3. kelleno
    kelleno Member
    Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it a ton! I just got done revising it. I made the text bigger, which ended up being .5 mm wide. I changed the sticks to be a bit thicker too, as you suggested a diameter of 1.2mm at its thinnest. I attached the new STL file. Again, THANK YOU!

Attached Files:

4. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
    You're welcome.

I hope this helps you.

Best regards from the sunny Spain.

Luis