The Ittyblox thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ittyblox, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Ittyblox
    Ittyblox Member
    Hello everyone,

I am starting a series of buildings in 1:1000 scale. I hope to upload one every week or so. They all fit in the same baseplates so that you can combine multiple buildings to compose your own city. Please tell me what you think of them.

So far I have uploaded two models:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

any feedback is welcome!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Nice work! :D

Hmmm... I bet if you could make dioramas of entire cities like New York or London and such they would sale real well. You could probably get good data from Google Earth for doing that. Also, in the Trimble Warehouse, formally Google Warehouse, you can find tens of thousands of buildings with minimal copyright restrictions.

On the the other hand, your idea of making imaginary cities could catch on and could even go viral. Let us know how your project progresses.

3. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
    Very nice!

Not my scale, but I wish you have high success with that project.

(don't forget a Godzilla and King Kong to match the scale).

4. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    This looks really cute!

The quality of the textures look really good, what's the size of the models? (they look something like 3-5cm?)

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Suspect they are vertex painted (and model renders, not actual product photos) ?

6. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Nope, these are real pictures :)
    Checked his account, he really printed these 2 models!

Render
    [​IMG]

3D printed:
    [​IMG]

I think the 3D printed version looks even better than the render :)

7. mkroeker
    Thought the shadows were wrong. Oh well, maybe I should stop doing my rickety inorganic chemistry models and learn to do rock-solid architecture.

8. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    I see those and my first thought is how did those manage to get printing approval? Some of those details and protuberances are absolutely teeny! I think I need to re-read the sandstone specs.

Nice!

9. Ittyblox
    Ittyblox Member
    Thank you all for your comments. It's true that some models get rejected a lot. over the last months I got a hang in finding out what will be printable and what not, but still I get a lot of rejections in the printing process. A result of pushing it to it's limits: you often go over it.

10. Ittyblox
    Ittyblox Member
    @UniverseBecoming I can only say: just keep watching the collection grow :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  11. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    [​IMG]
    Min embossed detail
    0.4 mm high & wide

A detail is a feature whose length is less than twice its width. Embossed details stick out from a surface.

____________________________________________________________ ____

This is a bit confusing. In this example are length and height the same thing? If I'm reading that correctly you can't have a detail that's 0.4mm high and wide. A 0.4mm high detail would have to be 0.8mm wide in both x and y dimensions? And is the 0.4mm number supposed to be a minumim value? This could use some clarification.

12. Ittyblox
    Ittyblox Member
    Hello everyone, I just added another one:

[​IMG]

Please tell me what you think of this model. I spent quite some time on the rooftop gardens but I think the details came out quite well:

[​IMG]

thank you for your input.

13. Ittyblox
    Ittyblox Member
    [​IMG]

the office tower completes the first set. Next up: a New York set.

Please tell me what you think of my models. through this thread or through twitter: @ittyblox

14. Ittyblox
    Ittyblox Member
  15. mkroeker
    NY set probably needs the shapeways building for completeness (lets see how many levels of recursion you can add hidden inside)
    :)

16. mygadgetlife
    mygadgetlife Well-Known Member
    I really like this - reminds me a bit of the 'future' cityscapes some times seen on Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlett.

An addition to the set could be be a simple 1x4 lined road to separate blox...

Also I'm mindful of this, Lego Springfield - I'm not suggesting you do Springfield(!) but you could go co-creator and allow people to submit designs based on their own city/neighbourhood... (I'm a bit fuzzy on co-creator - I'm not sure if co-designed models stay on the store for others to buy...)

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Steven

17. Ittyblox
    Ittyblox Member
    Thank you all for the great ideas! different sizes of streets will eventually come, but for now, to ensure compatibility it's just the basic baseplate for a while.

new building next week!

follow me on twitter to receive the update directly:
    @ittyblox

18. Ittyblox
    Ittyblox Member
    Second set, means first street! I have mixed the New York and Chicago sets together to make this one. Looks pretty cool if I can say so myself

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  19. Ittyblox
    Ittyblox Member
    It's been a while on this thread, however I did make progress on the buildings. Here is my latest image. Please tell me what you think. I can use all the feedback I can get!

[​IMG]

20. Ittyblox
    Ittyblox Member
    current state of affairs: just released the Guggenheim museum
    [​IMG]