Would it be possible to create a working Zippo Lighter?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 572201_deleted, Jun 27, 2014.

1. I have known about 3D printers for a while, I knew the basics of what they could do but it wasn't until I looked into the subject that I decided that this is something that I would enjoy completely. I also am quite fond of Zippo lighters, the design is brilliant. I was wondering if it would be possible to print the case and the insert to a standard that would make it function like the real deal (or very close). I would love to be able to make a few experimental Zippos with different designs. The wicks, flints, felt, rayon filling and fuel wouldn't be an issue, its merely the case and the inserts. Would this be possible to create up to a good standard that would function properly?

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Very interesting idea. I suppose you could, but there's a bit of an accuracy issue between separate prints.
    Unless you were to design in some kind of gasket, I'm not sure you could achieve the seal necessary to keep the fuel from evaporating.
    Other than that, it ought to work. I'd suggest printing in one of the metals - most of the plastics would not fare well long term vs the fuel.

3. I would intend to use metals. The fuel evaporating isn't really a big problem either since the fuel in a retail Zippo would evaporate by itself in due time anyway. There are ways that can lengthen the time it takes for the fuel to evaporate such as putting some Vaseline on the outside of the insert and the inside of the case. I'm just a little skeptical as to whether It would function or not. I don't see why it wouldn't if created properly.

4. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Yeah, it's a good idea!

I agree that you'd have to design a special 3D printed version that used Stony's suggestion of a gasket. A slot for an o-ring would work perfectly for this.

They would sell well if you could get it working!

5. If i were to sell them, they would probably only be my peers. Just wondering though, what is a gasket. I'm literally a 2 day old newbie to this stuff. :)

6. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    The fit between the case and the insert is likely to require hand and/or machine work to achieve proper fit. You will also need to provide the striking wheel which contacts the flint and develops the spark. The bearing holes on which this wheel turns will also require some post printing fitting work.
    Sounds like a cool idea, worth a try anyway.

7. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Well, you could sell them to your buddies, but you can also create a shop here on Shapeways real easily and Shapeways will sale them for you. All you do is sit back and do nothing while your share of the profits are sent to you on the 15th of every month.

If you take a look at an ordinary Zippo, the outer casing is a perfect fit to the inner fuel container. The clearance would be measured in the ten-thousandths of an inch. These outer casing are made via a deep drawing die that makes each one almost exactly like the last. Whereas, with 3D printing repeatability, getting the same dimensions every time, is not so accurate. More like wavering between 5 to 15 thousandths for every part or even worse, that is, for the 3D printing methods Shapeways uses for metals.

So you would need to compensate for that variable gap between parts with a gasket. In this situation as related to the design in question engineers would most likely use an o-ring gasket for this. It's simply a ring of elastomer that can be purchased in different sizes, materials and crossectional shapes. One of the numerous places to get them is McMaster-carr.

Here's a diagram showing an example of how they can be used.
    [​IMG]

8. sounding ok then I guess. I should have the money nearer xmas time so ill have plenty of time to research and so my design. It would be great If someone tested this themselves and told me how it went. I haven't seen any other posts about printing zippos so this could be a first.