Maya .wrl export problem

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Baadhshah, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Baadhshah
    Baadhshah Member
    I exported my model as .wrl from Maya. It successfully exports it. But when I try to import the same file in Maya to verify, it shows "unsupported format". And when I try to upload it to shapeways I get "file not processable". But the same model when exported as .obj file, everything works fine.
    Info: My model does not have a separate texture file. I have just assigned blin materials with color.

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    How big is your wrl file ? Upload limit is 64mb (and one million triangles in the file, though I saw mention somewhere that this limit was raised recently).
    Also check the first line of the file - this should be readable text, so notepad or any other text editor should work. It must read "#VRML V2.0", not the earlier
    V1.0 of the format.
    Try viewing it in a general vrml/x3d viewer such as view3dscene to see if something is fundamentally wrong with the file. (Is Maya expected to import wrl,
    or does it just know how to write it?)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  3. Baadhshah
    Baadhshah Member
    File size: 26.0MB
    Triangles : 121880
    Exported from Maya2013 as vrml2
    When opened in notepad the beginning of the file is as under:
    #VRML V2.0 utf8 CosmoWorlds V1.0WorldInfo{ title ...

Am I missing any option shown in the vrml2 export dialogue box that is required to be check before exporting.

4. mkroeker
    Hm. That looks correct. (Though you could try removing the "CosmoWorlds V1.0" text from that first line just in case shapeways' import code gets confused by it). Have you tried viewing the file in some other program ?

5. Baadhshah
    Baadhshah Member
    No I didn't try it since this is the first time I am needing to export as vrml.
    Fine .. I will remove the text which you suggested from the file and try to upload it to shapeways.

6. Baadhshah
    Baadhshah Member
    No.. not working even after I remove "CosmoWorlds V1.0" from the file. If you want to check yourself, I can send the file to you directly. Where should I send it.

7. mkroeker
    Easiest is probably to use the forum email - click on the "PM" field under one of my posts.

8. mkroeker
    Maybe not so bright idea when it is a 26mb attachment.... I'll PM you my email

9. Baadhshah
    Baadhshah Member
    Sure... Or should I try contacting any moderator though

10. mkroeker
    See this thread started by another Maya user, who provided a test case.
    Looks like the "Switch" statement is actually the culprit.