Home » Community » It arrived! » Lithophane Key Chains From Photos
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Lithophane Key Chains From Photos [message #92004] Mon, 16 June 2014 14:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar kaublezw  is currently offline kaublezw
Go to my shop
Well...after more iterations than I can count...we are finally in business.

Check out our web site: Print3DForMe

I think I've come as close as I can to perfecting the algorithm with the White Detail material.

index.php?t=getfile&id=62250&private=0

• Attachment: picstitch.jpg
    (Size: 25.36KB, Downloaded 200 time(s))

Re: Lithophane Key Chains From Photos [message #92005 is a reply to message #92004 ] Mon, 16 June 2014 14:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar EleanorW  is currently offline EleanorW
Go to all my models
I work here
Wow! These are amazing - thanks for sharing and glad the iteration process paid off.
Can you share a little bit more about your design process? These are really neat and I'd love to know more about how you developed them.
Best,
Eleanor

Eleanor, Shapeways Community Outreach Coordinator
Re: Lithophane Key Chains From Photos [message #92013 is a reply to message #92005 ] Mon, 16 June 2014 15:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks!

The long road from idea to product had many twists and turns.

Before I even knew what a lithophane was, I noticed that some of the Shapeways materials were semi-transparent and that it might be possible to create a kind of back-lit photograph. I thought it was an original idea.

Of course a quick Google Search revealed that this art has been around for over 100 years and many people have recently been trying to create them with 3D printers.

My first product idea was to create a Christmas light cover, and I created a prototype using the strong and flexible material.
I noticed two immediate problems: not enough detail and the curvature of the light bulb cover ruined the effect. (Also, the cost would be prohibitive if you wanted to use the covers on an entire strand of lights.)

So at this point I was drifting along without a product in mind.

I decided just to see if it was even possible to create a decent lithophane. I modified my program and tried printing a model using the Transparent Detailed Plastic....but it was too transparent.

Then I tried again using the White Detailed Plastic, bingo.

index.php?t=getfile&id=62255&private=0

Next, we started thinking about exactly what kind of product we could create that was affordable and fun.

After that was decided, we spent several iterations on designing the frame, key chain hole, and the indented print on the side of the frame indicating our web site url.

We also spent several iterations on refining the algorithm that generates the model from a photograph. We had to pick just the right maximum and minimum depths to create the best effect.

Anyway, the whole process was fun and exciting. It's amazing how an idea can evolve from the prototyping process.

• Attachment: calvin.png
    (Size: 268.68KB, Downloaded 168 time(s))

[Updated on: Mon, 16 June 2014 15:20 UTC]

Re: Lithophane Key Chains From Photos [message #92032 is a reply to message #92013 ] Mon, 16 June 2014 18:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar FabMeJewelry  is currently offline FabMeJewelry
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
That's a beautiful product you've got there, love the description on how you got to the perfect end result !

Wesley Günter - FabMeJewelry.com - Set a course, for the future !
Re: Lithophane Key Chains From Photos [message #92261 is a reply to message #92004 ] Thu, 19 June 2014 04:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar hongchen  is currently offline hongchen
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
very nice design!

I tried the link and wanted to upload a photo in jpg format, but it didn't get accepted all the time. Can you please check it?

Thanks,
Hong

hong chen
Re: Lithophane Key Chains From Photos [message #92276 is a reply to message #92261 ] Thu, 19 June 2014 11:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Hong -
I'm so sorry that you had problems. Can you provide me with a few more details on what happened so that we can try and address the issue?

When you were ordering a model, which Step did you make it to? Were you able to upload a photo? Were you able to crop? Were you able to click the "Order on Shapeways" button?
What browser were you using?

Thanks in Advance,
Zach
Re: Lithophane Key Chains From Photos [message #92520 is a reply to message #92276 ] Sun, 22 June 2014 20:34 UTC Go to previous message
avatar seriaforma  is currently offline seriaforma
Go to my shop
Very nice! Loved reading the story of its development as well.

Previous Topic:4 dimensional jewellery Metatrons Compass
Next Topic:Earrings and pendants

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.