Home » Community » It arrived! » Minion Wedding Figure arrived- best way to clean it?!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Minion Wedding Figure arrived- best way to clean it?! [message #91738] Wed, 11 June 2014 11:17 UTC Go to next message
avatar ManuelPoehlau  is currently offline ManuelPoehlau
Go to my shop
I got my Minion wedding figure today. All in all they turned out good, but they're still covered with all the powder.
What's the best way to get rid of it, without damaging the figure. Just use a brush?
index.php?t=getfile&id=61740&private=0

Manuel Poehlau Artworks
Re: Minion Wedding Figure arrived- best way to clean it?! [message #91740 is a reply to message #91738 ] Wed, 11 June 2014 11:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
I had a look at your 3d model and it looks like the loose powder (which is actually the build material) is coming from the escape hole under the dress of the minion.
This is hard to clean 100% and thus caused some of the powder to drop during shipping (contaminating the bag and thus being visible everywhere).

The best way to clean your model is by using a toothbrush.
Please do not use any water as this will make the colors fade.

Let me know the results, otherwise we will have to find some alternatives for you.

Regarding the model, it looks really good!
Beautiful work :)

Mitchell

ps. these are the minions I printed:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t31.0-8/1053051_487755514645548_1543449739_o.jpg

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: Minion Wedding Figure arrived- best way to clean it?! [message #91741 is a reply to message #91740 ] Wed, 11 June 2014 12:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you Mitchell, I will try to clean it with a toothbrush. I was afraid, that the hole under the dress would be hard to reach. But I couldn´t figure out how to do it in a better way. I guess without the base plate it wouldn´t be stable enough.

Your minions are looking great too! : D

Manuel Poehlau Artworks
Re: Minion Wedding Figure arrived- best way to clean it?! [message #91780 is a reply to message #91741 ] Wed, 11 June 2014 21:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar designanything3d  is currently offline designanything3d
Go to my shop
If you accidentally get water on it a good way to recover it is to put it in your oven on an aluminum pan with butcher paper for about 3-4 minutes. Just keep a close eye on it. It will start to fade then bam gone.. Take it out let it cool. I have saved many prints doing this. I recommend spraying all multicolor with a clear coat to protect them when handling them.

Josh
www.designanything3d.com
Re: Minion Wedding Figure arrived- best way to clean it?! [message #92295 is a reply to message #91780 ] Thu, 19 June 2014 15:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the tips! What kind of coating (brand, type of clear coat) do you suggest? I also would prefer a matte one, I don´t really like a shiny/sparkling look for my figurines.

-Manuel

Manuel Poehlau Artworks
Re: Minion Wedding Figure arrived- best way to clean it?! [message #92297 is a reply to message #91738 ] Thu, 19 June 2014 15:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I have used a spray sanding lacquer that gives a lighter finish. I have also used a product called glaze coat. It's thick, but a little shiny.

What you want to do is sample what ever you try on an area that won't be seen, in case it causes discoloration.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 June 2014 15:31 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Minion Wedding Figure arrived- best way to clean it?! [message #93055 is a reply to message #91738 ] Mon, 30 June 2014 17:24 UTC Go to previous message
avatar aimeemoyer  is currently offline aimeemoyer
Go to my shop
I work here
Ahh so good!

Merchandiser

Previous Topic:New Pendants
Next Topic:N 1/160 scale Figures

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.