Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Recycling [message #9358] Thu, 28 January 2010 22:25 UTC Go to next message
avatar jeff  is currently offline jeff
Go to my shop
are shapeways materials post consumer recyclable?

WSF is vinyl based- that'd be a #3 recycle
i'm not sure about the acrylic and ABS based materials

reason i ask is i was thinking I might add the recycling symbol and number to some of my products so if they reach the end of their life they don't end up in a landfill.

recycle number meanings

[Updated on: Thu, 28 January 2010 22:27 UTC]

Jeff Bare
Industrial Designer
@jbaredesign
Re: Recycling [message #9362 is a reply to message #9358 ] Thu, 28 January 2010 23:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gibell is currently online gibell
Go to my shop
If you look on the materials page and click on each one, there is a "Properties Panel" which lists "recyclable?". All the materials I have looked at say "no" there.
Re: Recycling [message #9366 is a reply to message #9358 ] Fri, 29 January 2010 00:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
Both the RepRap and MakerBot projects are using PLA plastic made from corn and recyclable.

http://blog.makerbot.com/2010/01/09/bio-friendly-plastic-for -your-makerbot-polylactic-acid/

I don't think the machines Shapeways uses can use that plastic unless the printer manufacturer offers it (without voiding the warranty). I have not seen anything about a recyclable material on the Stratasys website yet.

Statasys' recent deal with Hewlett Packard means this issue is about to be front-and-center. Hopefully they realize that if they they were to ignore recycling options, their whole idea would get shot down by consumers, myself included.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Recycling [message #9369 is a reply to message #9358 ] Fri, 29 January 2010 02:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
jeff wrote on Thu, 28 January 2010 22:25

WSF is vinyl based- that'd be a #3 recycle

WSF is Nylon bud.
Re: Recycling [message #9370 is a reply to message #9369 ] Fri, 29 January 2010 03:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
both helpful answers, thanks!

Jeff Bare
Industrial Designer
@jbaredesign
Re: Recycling [message #9371 is a reply to message #9369 ] Fri, 29 January 2010 03:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
yea i knew that and meant that but hands typed vinyl, both use 'y' as vowels tho

Jeff Bare
Industrial Designer
@jbaredesign
Re: Recycling [message #9375 is a reply to message #9371 ] Fri, 29 January 2010 06:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
Haha I get it wrong as well, and I run these machines! (not for shapeways)

Vinyl dye is good for colouring Nylon parts Razz

Re: Recycling [message #12456 is a reply to message #9358 ] Tue, 04 May 2010 11:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
The glass material is post consumer recyclable!
http://www.shapeways.com/materials/milky_white_matte_glass

So that is a step in the right direction.

Joris

Previous Topic:Casting from Prints
Next Topic:Various questions about the WS&F Material.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.