Is PLA toxic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 556854_deleted, May 30, 2014.

1. I just made this 3d printer model and was wondering is it actually safe to drink out off or can PLA be toxic?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2014
  2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Not toxic, but biodegradable, which is probably undesirable in your case (though an argument in its favour for disposable cups or short-lived packaging).
    Also avoid using it for pineapple juice - it will probably eat through it in no time. (And note that your question is off-topic here)

3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    To get a definitive answer, contact the supplier for the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) - ABS (another material suitable for home FDM printers) should be safe as The LEGO Group sell their products for children and who knows how many of the billions of little LEGO bricks get chewed everyday by kid & pets [​IMG]

Paul
    [hr][hr]

4. mkroeker
    Good point about the MSDS. While the material itself is non-toxic, any colors/pigments used might be a different issue, also it might have been shipped&handled as "technical grade" material without specific precautions against contamination with undesirable materials.

5. Bobbiethejean
    Bobbiethejean Well-Known Member
    I really wouldn't if I were you. If you want to know, you'd have to research whether or not the material is food safe. Google may have an answer for you. Good luck. Until then, I'd suggest not drinking out of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2014
  6. Silvanus
    Silvanus Well-Known Member
    This is just a personal opinion, but...only consider food-safe those materials which the company, in this case, Shapeways, considers so (and you can/should use other sources of information as well). Which seems to be only ceramic, here. I tend to read all documentation, from whatever the company, that is, the material safety PDF, and compare with other sources. But going for an usage/safety already non recommended by the company producing it... does not make sense at all to me.

In some places is recommended to those having home printers to have the room windows pretty well opened while producing the 3D print, due to the gases produced in the home 3D printers (PLA a bit better than ABS in that matter, it seems) process, which seem to not be very healthy. Once as a solid figure, well, I guess it might be safer, but imho, that a known toy maker used the material does not grant anything. First of all, regulations do change, evolve, new detected harms are discovered, etc. There are materials that are not toxic in normal conditions, but due to its components not being that safe under certain conditions, the thing might become come more harmful. One of the conditions that might make it not safe, is heat, temperature. And food is hot in many cases, be it liquid or solid. And there are many other factors. IMO, using each material with the usage which the company specifies and recommends, is a must. I mean, doing that, at least, as a minimum. And from a legal point of view, the company is recommending you to not do certain usage, so in most cases they would be free from any issue if you take unnecessary risks and certain damages do arise.

PD: Very nice website and catalog :)
    ...And, I have personally no clue about the accuracy of the following article, but it talks about PLA and ABS and the toxic matter. http://leafygreenplanet.com/toxic-fumes-abs-pla-3d-printer/

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  7. mkroeker
    Actually I am beginning to suspect that this question was posted just to make that site known and generate a google ranking boost through the backlink from shapeways. (Site with minimal t&c and no owner or company information beyond an "info" email address is a bit strange too). Googling finds a few
    similarly "innocuous" posts on various forums that "just happen to mention" that site.
    Furthermore, that same bottle (and image) can be found on thingiverse (where it is credited to "CreativeTools" uploaded march 2013, while the "new" site
    has absolutely no information about the originator.

8. Silvanus
    Silvanus Well-Known Member
    Ouch! I see... Well, if we don't hear again from the original poster, your theory would be more than certain.