14k Gold Wedding Ring - Perfect Timing!

Discussion in 'Feature this!' started by worksbysolo, May 15, 2014.

1. worksbysolo
    worksbysolo Member
    Swirling Vine Ring.jpg

Hello,

So, the story starts on Friday, April 25. 2014. A customer contacted me via PM and asks if I would be willing to offer one of my ring designs (https://shpws.me/r9HF) in 14k gold because he would like to purchase it as his wedding ring. I was surprised because 14k Gold was introduced just the day before! I also took this as a wonderful compliment, knowing that someone liked the design enough to want it as their wedding ring.

I quickly set out to offer the new material, but found that the automatic thin wall test was showing some questionable areas, not in the structure, but in the embossed details. At this time I had already printed that ring successfully in brass. It was gold plated and polished, and came out beautifully. Because brass and gold are similar processes, I felt confident that the 14k Gold would also come through fine. But, I needed help.

I contacted Shapeways support. With the help of Michael, Thomas, and Andrew giving their personal attention to this model's analysis, I decided to go forward and offer this design to the customer in 14k Gold. But, now the customer had a big concern... What if it didn't fit. With the wedding only weeks away their would be no time to get this wrong.

I went back to the Shapeways PM sent from the groom and found that his ring size was only microns from the size 7 that I had ordered in brass as my sample. Right then, I decided to expedite my ring to him for next day delivery for a test fit. From what he tells me, he opened the package, loved the design, tried it on, then placed his order, all within minutes of the delivery!

As of today, he has received his 14k Gold Wedding Ring (a week early), and shipped my sample ring back to me. It came out gorgeous, as I can tell from the photos he sent, his comments, and gratitude.

Again, many thanks to Michael, Thomas, and Andrew for helping to get this wedding ring produced!

-- Bernie
    https://www.shapeways.com/designer/solostudioworks

2. Sloris
    Sloris Member
    Great story and the ring looks beautiful in gold :)

3. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Amazing story! Thanks for sharing!

4. Lauren
    Lauren Member
    CONGRATS Bernie and soon to be married customer! what a lovely story.

5. SavIsSavvy
    SavIsSavvy Member
    This story illustrates exactly what is so amazing about Shapeways! Thank you so much for sharing it- it's great to hear how you worked with the soon-to-be-wed customer and our awesome customer service team.

Is it alright if we feature this story on our blog as well?

Keep it up and always share these stories with us, not only do they make us feel good, but the inspire others in the Shapie community.

Also, bonus points for being one of the first and best examples of 14k Gold!

Cheers,
    Savannah

6. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    WOW!!

Amazing story! And absolutely beautiful design Bernie!

:)

7. worksbysolo
    worksbysolo Member
    Hey Savannah,

Sure, I'd love to have you share this story.

If you use any of my text, please be sure to fix the typo at the end of the third paragraph. "Their" should be "there".

THANK YOU!

-- Bernie

8. worksbysolo
    worksbysolo Member
    Thanks to all for the kind remarks!

-- Bernie

9. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    Beautiful ring and nice story to go with it.