Gluing it back?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aRTCy, May 12, 2014.

1. aRTCy
    aRTCy Member
    I was just wondering if anyone here ever had to try to fix a broken printout by gluing it back? Had this been an issue for anyone?

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
  3. aRTCy
    aRTCy Member
    I'm asking you all that. I haven't gotten a printout yet so I'm just wondering if anyone has had any issues with their printouts and which materials have given them issues. This is a general question.

4. stop4stuff
    Material specific is better, as some will be ok with super glue e.g.FD & FUD and some wont,. e.g. the Strong & flexible materials.
    It would depend on the porosity of the material as to which glue is most suitable.

If the model arrives broken, the solution is to contact Shapeways Customer Services with some photos, they'll either reprint or refund.

For the most part, sticking to the material guidelines should ensure a model arrives intact.

Cheers,
    Paul

5. aRTCy
    aRTCy Member
    I see...so is there a different/better solution then for the strong and flexible materials?

6. stop4stuff
    I don't know, as I've never had a broken WSF model...
    WSF takes a lot of abuse before it will break, e.g. http://youtu.be/XNXz1D0R0Ls

I'd say it is better to get an issue and then ask for help on resolving it, rather than speculating about something that probably won't happen.

Cheers,
    Paul

7. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
  8. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Some thirty posts below yours, but still on the same page in this forum section is a thread about "commercial glues for strong&flexible. Suggestions there include carpenters glue and gel-like formulations of superglue.
    (And just for the sake of completeness, broken "sandstone" (FCS) models can be fixed with superglue, as that is what holds it together anyway)