Does a closed model with no wall thickness will be print as a solid, filled model? :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 444092_deleted, May 11, 2014.

1. Hello,
    I was wondering how to make a complex 3D (it is too heavy to be repaired with Netfabb, and to create a wall thickness in Meshlab) ; lightened while maintaining a smooth appearance?
    Because obviously if I want to lighten it by reducing the number of poly / faces (I don't know the difference) my model will become more faceted. But it includes areas that absolutely must remain smooth.
    I suppose i must use "a Decimate tool" for this but I do not know how.
    Thank you to explain in detail the steps, I'm pretty beginner.

Thank you very much in advance! :)

I found the answer! :)

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  2. Hello everybody!

Here are the measurements of one of my latest creations:

ORIGINAL BOUNDS
    (in) 3.454w x 10.827d x 1.183h

(cm) 8.772w x 27.5d x 3.004h

ORIENTED BOUNDS
    (in) 3.445w x 10.831d x 1.176h

(cm) 8.75w x 27.512d x 2.986h

Volume 18.8332cm3

Density 2.62%

Looking at the density i'm doubting about the fact that it is a filled model with no holes Inside, no wall thickness. does anybody knows if Is it or not?
    Thank you.

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Is the model public? can you share the link? Really hard to tell without the model.

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    8.75 x 27.512 x 2.986 = 718.81978 cc
    718.81978 x 0.0262 = 18.833078 cc

Yes, it seems reasonable that the model is hollow.

If it uploaded to Shapeways and looks OK, then don't worry about NetFabb, as Shapeways MeshMedic fixed things.
    However, you can use NetFabb Cloud Service for free to repair the model - The NetFabb service is now hosted on MS Azure and needs an MS Live login (XBOX Live login works)

Paul
    [hr][hr]

5. I didn ´t mean I'm wondering if the surface has no holes. I meant if there is no hole inside. I need to print a filled model, something full.
    I would have something very strong, not breakable that´s why i want more than just a wall thickness.:)
    I repaired it with cloud Netfabb yet. I was wondering how to make it filled now. Somebody told me just to upload it like this with no wall thickness and Shapeways should print it as a full model.
    But someone else said that I must use alpha complex with meshlab, I tried but didn't achieve as I don't know the numbers for a 100% filled model and where I must enter them. What are exactly the steps please?

Thanks. :)

6. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Have a Google for the structural strength of a tube verses a solid rod - the tube is stronger.
    What's the material you're aiming for with this model?

Paul

7. thank you;
    I will choose White strong plastic or stainless steel depending of the final price. :)

8. Thank you again. I read about "structural strength of a tube verses a solid rod". It's quite intersting, and it reinforces my idea of ​​using a solid.
    So my question is now how to use meshlab to fill my model, not by the idea of ​​mm but percentage (Fills 50%, 75% or 100%)? Is it possible and how?
    thank you in advance! :)

9. a closed model without wall thickness, once uploaded is automatically considered and print by shapeways as a solid and filled model, isn' it?

10. I just changed the tittle in case somebody knows the answer to my question. :)

11. wedge
    wedge Member
    yup.
    If you upload a box with 6 Side polygons, the cube will be printed as "solid and filed" Object.