Need suggestion on 2 materials for a composed object

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 314999_deleted, May 8, 2014.

1. Hello,

I need to create an object with a flat face where a flat object will have to be manually inserted.
    The first object will have a deboss (just discovered that this word exists, hope to be using it appropriately) of the same shape of the second object... that should be inserted in that space, creating a flat surface.
    The second object will be glued to the first.
    Hope you understood what I mean...

In attachment is a sample of the second object, it's size should be 3cmx3cm and thicnk 1 or 2 mm.

What kind of materials would you suggest for the first and second object? I want to order different combinations to test for the best result.
    I would like to try stainless steel, matte black steel, black/white/royal blue strong and flexible plastic for the first object.
    For the second, would you suggest detailed plastic or strong and flexible plastic?
    Do you have any advice on how to model the two objects or on the materials choice?

I't a requirement that there must be a strong contrast between the colors of the two objects (black and white whould be ideal), so I'd like to try different options.

thanks,
    Mattia

Attached Files:

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Depending on the materials you want both parts to be, there might need to be a lot of leeway - 1 or 2mm - for the geometry to fit perfectly.

One solution could be to 3D print the 'debossed' (impressed) part and then fill with a contrasting coloured resin, cheaper and more reliable than having both parts printed.

Paul
    [hr][hr]

3. Thank you for the useful suggestion.
    I searched for "coloured resin" but I'm quite confused for the different options and products...
    Can you address me to the product that yo think would best suit my needs, that are to fill a small shape (max extension 4x4 cm, like the one I've put in the attached image), and deep 1 or 2 mm.
    I guess that I would have to use a syringe, and the resin is supposed to be liquid right?

Thanks

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Resins, whether they be Epoxy based or polyester are generally clear and a pigment is added for colour.
    Only having ever worked with polyester resins, predominanty for GRP, I can say it is easy to handle, colour, mix and pour.
    Have a look around http://www.resinobsession.com, as I thinkk what they can offer, help wise is much more than I can.

Paul

5. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    What you're describing is what's known as an inlay.

Paul's suggestion is good for if you want a very clean transition border. I would suggest epoxy or polyester resin, which you can get from fiberglassing suppliers as well as the corresponding colorants.

Another similar suggestion would be polymer clay, which comes in every color of the rainbow, including metals.

If you print in a metal, you can do what's known as enameling. This is where one melts powdered glass of various colors into the depression to form the inlay. The benefit over plastic is it would be very durable.

As for me, I'm lazy. :p I wouldn't want to do any of those methods. I'd rather go with your initial idea and print both parts. You'd have to print various sizes for the inlay in order to avoid the problem Paul brought up,but it's doable.

As for making this in 3D, this can easily be made in DesignSpark Mechanical. Just copy the image to the clipboard, paste it into DesignSpark and trace it out use the 2D drawing tools. Once you have it traced out, you would then use the pull tool to make it into 3D and then save it as a STL and upload to Shapeways.

6. @stop4stuff

thanks! I've done some research and I'll try with resin first

@UniverseBecoming

thanks for the "inlay" english word, it helped me a lot to search more accurately for a solution.
    I'll try both resin and clay, and see for the best result.
    I'll go for my original idea if the resin fails, because I'm lazy too, but printing the inlay part as a separate object may result to be too expansive for my project.

After the examination of other projects, I'm also considering another option, like in this design:
    https://images4.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/625x465_130985_1055 009_1370564700.jpg
    http://images2.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/625x465_131162_10549 90_1396448590.jpg
    wha't the process that makes the external part polished and the debossed dark?

Thanks!

7. Sorry, I didn't fully read the description of the dices, I guess that "inked" means that the debossed part is painted with ink... I thought it was a polishing process.