Home » Community » Work in progress » The Dod Box
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon12.gif  The Dod Box [message #9190] Sun, 24 January 2010 08:16 UTC Go to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Hi all,

You know that I like when a box can be closed by a lid that is identical to the box itself (see this topic).
So for the Maryland Plastics injection molding contest, I propose a container that follows this rule, the Dod Box Very Happy
The basic shape is half a dodecahedron: take a dodecahedron standing on a flat surface and keep only the 6 lowest faces.
All the difficulty has been first to allow this container to be closed with exactly the same shape (with a tab system), and second to make these boxes stackable.
This the result:
index.php?t=getfile&id=2397&private=0
The diameter of the dodecahedron is 25 cm, the thickness of the walls is 3 mm, the clearances are 0.5 mm (+/- 0.25 mm to be exact).
When it is closed, you get back the regular dodecahedron shape.
You can maintained the box closed thanks to a large rubber band (to carry food for a picnic, for instance).
In this last rendering you can see how you can stack them, in closed or opened position.
Sorry for the poor rendering, it is not easy to render transparent plastic. I used colors so that you can distinguish the different parts.

As usual, your feedback is welcomed!

• Attachment: inj.jpg
    (Size: 64.58KB, Downloaded 873 time(s))

[Updated on: Sun, 24 January 2010 08:41 UTC]

Re: The Dod Box [message #9614 is a reply to message #9190 ] Fri, 05 February 2010 14:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I'm sorry, the only (constructive) criticism I can think of is :

Just brilliant ! Good job ! Smile

Oh wait got one more;
how about egg-shaped versions or other variations ?

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: The Dod Box [message #9635 is a reply to message #9614 ] Sat, 06 February 2010 00:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
You could try to make a version based on a rhombic dodecahedron rather than a normal one. The cool thing about this is you could then stack the boxes with no gaps in between!!
Re: The Dod Box [message #9641 is a reply to message #9635 ] Sat, 06 February 2010 10:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
To Virtox: Thank you very much for your critics Very Happy .
I wanted to do a kind of lid (same basic shape but not as high), but unfortunately I will not have the time to do so.
Perhaps later. I think also that a smaller version - 1:2 for instance - to be printed in White Strong and Flexible could be interesting.

To Gibell: That's funny, because as I said to Bhearn I was working on a wireframed rhombic dodecahedron (but I temporarly give up because I had other projects).
The issue I can see is that the best symmetry (and probably the best orientation to stack them) is achieved when a vertex is at the bottom (which is not the best choice for stability Smile). Perhaps it would be easier with its dual, the cuboctahedron, since vertices are transformed into faces...
Re: The Dod Box [message #9763 is a reply to message #9641 ] Tue, 09 February 2010 15:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
You know, in this day and age there aren't a lot of "new" things. I think many of us strive to create new things, because the reaction we get to our designs is more exciting!

Well, I have never seen anything like this. I think you really did something unique here Magic, and I like it very much! Any chance we'll be able to purchase this in Shapeways materials in your shop?

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: The Dod Box [message #9941 is a reply to message #9763 ] Sun, 14 February 2010 10:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
I really appreciate your kind words Whystler. Smile
This being said, I confess I would have much happier if I had discovered the Dodechedron itself, but I guess I was born too late for that! Very Happy

To answer your question, I planned in effect to upload a scaled down version that could be ordered in Strong and Flexible. Unfortunately, the scale 1:2 lead to a price still too expensive, so I uploaded a 1:3 version.
It is only 1 mm thick, but it should be OK for Strong and Flexible.

That's a pity it is so expensive, it could have been very cool to have it in metal with some pentacles engraved on each face. Perhaps, I could do a version of this size (1:3) but with a larger thickness (3 or perhaps 2 mm) to print it in Full Color Sandstone, so that the pentacles could be in the texture...

[Updated on: Sun, 14 February 2010 11:10 UTC]

Re: The Dod Box [message #10021 is a reply to message #9941 ] Thu, 18 February 2010 11:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Tommy_2Tall  is currently offline Tommy_2Tall
Go to my shop

Perhaps you could saving material/cost by going for a wireframe solution?
Or thicker support sections with minimal wall thickness inbetween?
Re: The Dod Box [message #10049 is a reply to message #10021 ] Fri, 19 February 2010 17:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Yes you are right, one of the solution could be to make something more wireframed, or at least with some holes: for instance star-shaped holes on each face...
I am also wondering if using non-flat surfaces for each face (as it is already the case for the bottom face) could make the whole structure sturdier, and allow me to use a smaller thickness...

For now, I ordered the model without modification in White Strong and Flexible material and in Transparent Detail material (1:3 scale). I will let you know the result.
Re: The Dod Box [message #10335 is a reply to message #10049 ] Mon, 01 March 2010 22:53 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
It arrived! Very Happy

Previous Topic:No matter what I do........ FIXED
Next Topic:Stuck on "The model could not be validated"

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.