Multi-Part in Plastics - 2nd failure. Any advice?

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by JoyComplex, May 1, 2014.

1. JoyComplex
    JoyComplex Active Member
    So I've been working on making these spinning pinwheel earrings for about a month. My first iteration had a spindle mechanism that was too thin so it would break during polishing. I remodeled to make the spinning mechanism stronger. I made sure the clearances were above the minimums and printed again.

Screen Shot 2014-05-01 at 5.56.51 PM.png

This time they survived but the whole mechanism is fused. I tried to see how far it would spin part of it snapped off. I am definitely at or above the minimums and have more than enough escape holes.

purple pinwheel.jpg

Any suggestions? I'm beginning to get frustrated . . . but third time as they say.

2. najo98
    najo98 Member
    maybe try scaling it a little larger? would that work

3. JoyComplex
    JoyComplex Active Member
    I Think I'll have to try that. I juts don't want them to get too unwieldy. I have my heart set on having these things spin on people's ears!

4. najo98
    najo98 Member
    hope it works, and that is a really cool idea.

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Could be that any powder they could not get out of the case is caked together by the dye solution. Have you tried plain white polished for a
    paint-it-yourself solution?

6. JoyComplex
    JoyComplex Active Member
    Yeah, I got all available colors (except for black) and white is the same as the rest. Maybe I'll just have to redesign the spinning mechanism.

7. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    It looks like you got a lot of material trapped between the two cylinders (looking at the unbroken purple spindle) Maybe adding a little more gap there? What is the current gap?

8. JoyComplex
    JoyComplex Active Member
    Half a mm all around. I think I'll just double all the distances to make sure there's enough room. I just want to make sure the spindle doesn't snap off during polishing.

9. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Have you contacted service? Anything that meets the guidelines should be clear, and anything that doesn't should be rejected.

10. JoyComplex
    JoyComplex Active Member
    No I haven't. I will now though!

11. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    Looks like print error to me too. To much material trapped there.

12. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Is the white area loose power?

Paul

13. JoyComplex
    JoyComplex Active Member
    No. That's where I accidentally snapped off part of the mechanism. There is a tiny bit of lose powder in some of the 4 escape holes.

14. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    The white area is not powder packed in then?
    Grab a pin or screwdriver & have a poke about.

If it is still solid, then this suggests to me that the model is solid and something is awry with the model - in the model image, what is the clearance between the disc visable through the holes and the inner of the wall?

Paul

15. JoyComplex
    JoyComplex Active Member
    I already poked around where there should be moveable parts when they initially came in. The clearances are all .5mm or greater for all openings. What's weird is that the old model (which had a smaller mechanism) at least printed the inside portion properly, but when I scaled the mechanism up (all parts but the pinwheel portion) so that the spindle and outside portion would survive polishing the pinwheels came back fused!

I'm going to redesign the earrings so that the clearances are at least 1.2mm. If I don't get pinwheels that spin with that, then I'm stumped.