Would Shapeways ever consider.....

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Bobbiethejean, May 1, 2014.

1. Bobbiethejean
    Bobbiethejean Well-Known Member
    Would Shapeways ever consider purchasing the Mcor Iris 3D Printer? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBOoxrszuZM

I've been eying it for a long time. As an artist, it looks like a dream come true. The material is cheaper, good resolution, and you get TRUE full color. I've seen other 3D printing services making use of it and I'd LOVE to see it on Shapeways.

2. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    Well so much for a paperless society.

3. Bobbiethejean
    There are also printers that use wood. :p I'm sure it won't be long before we are seeing hemp filament. XD If it's any consolation, there are a lot of people eying that big plastic island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean as potential material for 3D printing. Yay environmental conscientiousness!

4. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Looking at your other post, it isn't cheap at all:

Note that Mcor is a lottttt of post process work.
    You have to cut away all the "non model" paper by hand (causing overhanging parts to be extremely difficult)

5. Bobbiethejean
    That's not just an Mcor machine, that's Staples using an Mcor machine. Staples is just now stepping its toe into the realm of 3D printing. In other words, they're noobs. It would be my hope that Shapeways, a veteran 3D printing service, might be able to do it better. Furthermore, Staples doesn't list price per cubic centimeter or density (not anywhere I've seen) so who knows how expensive the models really are. Mcor boasts 15 - 20% cost of other 3D printers. I'm Guessing Staples just doesn't know what they're doing. Or maybe that's more of a hope than a guess. Either way, I'd really love to see what a competent, experienced 3D printing service like Shapeways could do with such a machine.

I'm sorry I keep harping on this. It's just that I'm kind of desperate for some progress in materials. For 3D printing to be a truly viable medium for me as an artist, I need it to be cheaper and I need it to be full color. I keep thinking, we've sent people to the moon. How do we not have cheap, sturdy, hi res, full color 3D printing yet? FCS comes close but it's really low res and not quite as cheap as I'd like.

I guess I'll take this answer as a sort of noncommittal no and continue sitting here patiently waiting for a material that will fulfill my needs. XC Hopefully I won't be gray by the time that comes around. XC

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  6. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    I think that printer was primarily designed for an office environment where you print up to a few items at a time. It's probably aimed at people that need to quickly make prototypes and demo items that look good for meetings or verify fit with other components, and particularly for engineering applications. Assuming they're using regular printer paper you could estimate material volume cost by looking at normal Dunder Mifflin office paper cost and dividing out a volume. As far as how many parts could be printed in the same "tray" and how much touch time is required is a whole different issue. That's where the real costs accumulate. Of course that doesn't mean someone won't offer a printing service using these printers.

7. Bobbiethejean
    I'd still love to have it as an option. Even if the cost is the same as FCS, the resolution is MUCH higher and you get a broader range of color (or so it looks?). I would love to be able to print up a character like this: http://bobbie-the-jean.deviantart.com/art/Foxcelot-372742806 with all those bright colors and all that detail. I understand that every blade of fur just isn't possible (at least not atm?) but still, that would be like an artistic dream come true... well, close enough. I'm still holding out for a strong, high res, full color material that isn't a nightmare to design for and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. XC

The reason I don't just buy an Mcor Iris myself is because, well, it is a little out of my price range and I like working with SWs. SWs takes a lot of the hassle out of my end as an artist. ^__^;

8. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    It looks like Staples has finally opened test program 3D print stores in New York and LA. Not sure where they are but if you are close perhaps you could call them and find out what the deal is with the MCOR paper printers. They may still only be offering this option in Europe. As far as I can tell the financial woes of Staples has delayed all of this happening, but they see more future profit in copy and printing services than from selling pencils.

http://smallbusiness.foxbusiness.com/entrepreneurs/2014/04/1 4/staples-launches-3d-printing-program-for-small-business/

Let us know. I have several items I would like to try to make in full color paper!

--------------------------
    ETA Another article with photos.
    http://finance.boston.com/boston/news/read/26921782/staples_ makes_more_3d_printing_happen_with_launch_of_in

I think this is the NY store:
    http://storelocator.staples.com/stores/en_US/NY/Manhattan/11 65

9. Bobbiethejean
    Hm. This looks different than the other service I've seen offered by them. Curious. Definitely looking into it. :) Thanks for the link.

10. Silvanus
    Silvanus Well-Known Member
    Really interesting, thanks for the info !