14kt Gold !!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lensman, Apr 23, 2014.

1. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    I was updating a model and up popped a new material - 14kt Gold and NO announcement on the Blog yet! Woohoo! Am I hallucinating?

Edit: Limited by country - Please tell us more!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  2. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    Yeah seen it now!!!!

WHAAAT?!!

It is limited to U.S.A. only!

Question it is , if we have designs that fits the rules we can have option to sell to U.S.A. only in the shop ? Better than no option at all!

OHH!! Checked on one of my pendants it is available to Designer to set on the shop but he can`t order if it is not (like me) in U.S.A. but can offer it to sale!!! Looks like rules of Silver/Brass/Bronze are kinda on same lane.

Thank you Shapeways!

:D Time to do something cool!

Lensman - limited by country , U.S.A. , you can`t add it to cart , I guess non U.S.A. client can`t add it to cart either. But the U.S.A. client can order it! I guess it is the problem with the law in some countries.

Shapeways pls clear our view pls!!! o_O

PS: I see some site redesign in progress!!!

3. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Shhhh guys, (most of) America is sleeping, watch for the blog and huge announcement at 8am EST to explain all ...so 9 hours from now ;-)

:-D

4. numarul7
    One little note... we must edit model detail and check thickness on the already uploaded models ?! why it is not automated?!

5. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    1) If you mean why isn't gold turned on by default, what markup pricing would you chose versus some other designer? Right now, if they just turned on that material, it'd be a $0 markup - very bad. Also, which of your models fit the design rules? Most of my models would not fit the rules. It would severely disappoint customers if they bought some $500 item to have it rejected because of movable parts, etc.
    2) To automatically check all previously uploaded models would require weeks, if not months of processing time. Even if they started tonight, it'd be a long time before all the models could be updated.

6. numarul7
    I was referring to 2.

Thank you for answer!

7. SavIsSavvy
    SavIsSavvy Member
  8. numarul7
    Question : "When we hand-polish your Gold model, some material will inherently be worn off. Please note that the volume of your finished product may be up to 10% less than the original model due to shrinkage and polishing loss." ?!

Does Shapeway adjust this 10% for rings ???

... I mean... is 10% ... that flips from finger ....

I got no sticky fingers ...

@Lensman we still hallucinating we must go to sleep! To much whiskey! :))) We can dream 2000 euro pendants dropping from the skies!

9. lensman
    Yep, hopes were raised and now dashed. Off to read the Blog post now. Hopefully I can at least sell to US customers even though I'm not in US.

10. numarul7
    I can set markup ...so I guess it is.

11. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    You aren't?

I'm able to add markup to my models! (Located in The Netherlands)

Edit: stop spamming me w/ emails

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  12. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    It's a bit too expensive for my taste. So I'm not really sad that I cannot order it.

13. lensman
    Compare the prices to a major competitor of theirs and you'll see Shapeways is cheaper..... but, yes, gold is too damn expensive worldwide. I'm waiting for 3D Printed diamonds next!

14. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Oooh 3d printed diamonds... Imagine that!

De Beers would go bananas. ;)

15. numarul7
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  16. lensman
    They would indeed. Diamonds are so over-rated. Huge stockpiles being built and released slowly just to keep the prices up. There are many more stones out there that are rarer and look nicer IMHO.

17. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Just so everyone is straight, Gold is not only for US Designers, but can only be ordered in the US. Outside the US, feel free to design for Gold!

18. roofoo
    roofoo Well-Known Member
    The current price of 14k gold is $467.19 per cm3. That's quite a markup at $600/cm3. Plus $50 handling fee?!

So when can we order the wax prints themselves? You're obviously making them.

19. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Here's my blog comment:

This is a very smart move by Shapeways. I've already set all of my jewelry items to be available in gold. It'll be interesting to see how this works out over the coming years.

I keep receiving this error message intermittently whenever I try to post on the blog:

Spam Prevention: Invalid message.
    Your comment could not be added because comments for this entry have either been disabled, you entered invalid data, or your comment was caught by anti-spam measures.

I've talked to service for months about this but no one at Shapeways service seems to know why this happens. I wonder how many customers every month leave Shapeways never to return after receiving one of these errors. It's like telling people, go away, Shapeways doesn't like you! HAHAHA! :D

20. lensman
    Same here with that experience....