Elasto-Plastic resistance to Oil, Gasoline, Brake Fluid?

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by SP838, Apr 23, 2014.

1. SP838
    SP838 Member
    Just wondering if anyone knows how well the Elasto-Plastic material, when unpainted or otherwise protected, might resist being dissolved or attacked by gasoline, oil, or even brake fluid. (Not holding my breath for the brake fluid...)

I am thinking of printing some parts for my motorcycle and although these parts wouldn't be in direct contact with these fluids 99.9% of the time, I would hesitate before making them if this material was particularly vulnerable.

If anyone has any insights into what solvents the Elasto-Plastic is most vulnerable to, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Guessing this is EOS' PA11 material, for which the materials database at eos.info states general against common solvents, fats and oils
    and mentions "automotive" as one possible application area.

3. SP838
    SP838 Member
    Thank you so much! This is very helpful. It's amazing how much data there is on these materials, and it would be very nice if Shapeways would make it available to us. I wonder why they don't...

I will definitely refer to that site for detailed information going forward.

Thanks again!