Quote please: camera lens nose ring re-manufacture

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by Lozleigh, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Lozleigh
    Lozleigh Member
    Hi Shapies!

I'm new here.

We're a pair of UK scientists with a small business modifying the optics of camera lenses and converting them to macro. We haven't done any modelling or 3D printing, but we dabble in all things technology...

The lenses we use have a design floor, and we need your help to fix it!

If you look at the photo attached inside the red circle: the split in the nose ring is our problem.

Lens split ring circled.jpg

I've uploaded a PDF showing the part in more detail. It's an annulus with chamfered edge, plastic (I think ABS, but not sure).

Dimensions are 68.5 mm diameter, and 5.7mm high (approx, measured with a vernier caliper, but hard to be accurate as it's small!). I've included a cross section - dimensions are +/- 0.2mm.

What are we looking for?

Getting these lens nose rings re-manufactured, so we can replace the split rings on the lenses we buy and sell them on.

How can you help?

Advice and support to get this project to a first 3D prototype in our hands, with a clear path to manufacturing volumes (c. 100-200 per annum):

+ Is it possible to get something of this size and shape modelled and 3D printed - just the nose ring with the split in it, not the whole lens!!!!?
    + Can the nose ring be made with a smooth outer?
    + Are there any materials that can be 3D printed that are black with the right properties, or should we be looking at metal?
    + What would you charge for a model? How would I then go about getting it printed? Will you support us through this stage and at what cost? Do you prefer fixed fee, or call off?
    + What material would be best (is 3D printing the answer, should we be exploring CNC machining Aluminum, or getting an injection mould made?)
    + What would approximate costs be for approx 100-200 items per year (I appreciate that depends on material and production method).
    + What options are there for different colours?

Who you are:

A design, manufacturing or engineering professional based in the UK with experience of working with rapid prototyping companies like Shapeways and able to evaluate and discuss options for this project. Why the UK? We'll send you the lens ring and the camera lens it fits on to so you can get accurate measurements, and once we have a prototype test for fit and refine the model until we have a good solution. Postage costs and customs nonsense are likely to get too complex for outside of the British Isles.

Next steps:

Can you contact us with information on previous projects/experience and an idea of rates, how long you think this will take, and anything else of relevance? This is a genuine project, and we'd like to get moving on it.

Look forward to working with you!

Laurel.

Attached Files:

2. NikkruGadgets
    NikkruGadgets Well-Known Member
    PM sent

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  3. Achille
    Achille Member
    Pm Sent ,

Regards Achille.

4. Mohsen_Abbasi
    Mohsen_Abbasi Well-Known Member
    PM sent.

cloning is ma special field :)

5. SamarthMK
    SamarthMK Member
    Hey!

I am interested in working with you guys.
    I'm free for the next few months and looking to work on a few projects as I just ended my manufacturing internship at Tesla Motors.

Go ahead and let me know the issues you are having and I can try and get you some advice on this.
    Also, if you need anything redesigned, I can help with that too - for a small cost obviously.

Thanks,

Samarth