how to save as .STL file for good quality printing in Inventor?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 505016_deleted, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Dear all
    I am very new to the 3D printing world and I now have twe drawings made in Inventor, which I would like to have printed.
    I tried saving the drawings as .STL file, but the quality is not good enough anymore. I did some changes in the 'save as' settings to get a better quality, but it's not the way i want it yet.
    What sould I choose for settings to get the optimal quality for printing?

Thanks for your answers or ideas!

Klaas

2. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
    Hi, Klaas.

I'm working with inventor for three years and uploading files to Shapeways, made with it, from a year ago.

And I can't understand what you mean.

You don't have to try "save" as .stl.

You have to "export", then "cad format", then type of file: .stl.

No more settings. You have an .stl to print a cube, you upload a cube to shapeways.

You have in inventor a 1 million triangles model, then the .stl is what you have designed.

Please be more specific. I want to help you.

Regards

Luis

3. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Just a guess, but if by "quality" you are talking about the faceting effect of triangles, then you need to turn off Smooth Shading (also called Phong Shading) in Inventor and view your item only as a set of triangular faces. The more faces you add, the more smooth the model will be.

This little writeup is not completely relevant to the shading subject, but might help explain: http://stonysmith.com/wired/scaling.asp

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014