Home » Support » 3D Design » Custom Color Rounded Die
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Custom Color Rounded Die [message #9004] Sat, 16 January 2010 06:47 UTC Go to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Hi all,

It has be really really painful to design this die, because I had to split it into six to assign different materials to each face and then merge the different parts all together.
Of course it was nearly impossible to merge them again without having dupplicated edges or strange border effects on the material.
I guess there is an easier way, but I could not figure out which one Crying or Very Sad
Anyway, now it's done and it works properly.
So here is the Color Rounded Die
index.php?t=getfile&id=2335&private=0
It is a co-creator model so you can use your own image.
As you can see this image is just the different faces put in this order:
1 2 3
4 5 6
I then put them in the correct place with a chosen orientation (so that none is in the same orientation actually).
The recommended size is 1200x800 pixels.
You can download a sample image (dice.jpg) for you the begin with, if you want to customize one.

Enjoy !

[Updated on: Wed, 20 January 2010 22:56 UTC]

Re: Custom Color Rounded Die [message #9013 is a reply to message #9004 ] Sat, 16 January 2010 16:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Wolfdagon  is currently offline Wolfdagon
Go to all my models
Nice. Have you ordered one yet?
Re: Custom Color Rounded Die [message #9027 is a reply to message #9004 ] Sun, 17 January 2010 03:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dadrummond  is currently offline dadrummond
Go to my shop
Is the "one two tree" intentional? Just in case you meant "three".

------------------
Elytra on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/elytra
Re: Custom Color Rounded Die [message #9035 is a reply to message #9027 ] Sun, 17 January 2010 15:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
To Wolfdagon: no, I did not ordered it yet. But I think the model should print properly. The only thing on which there could be a small issue would be the round part not being smooth enough: you can see the facets in the rendering. Initially, I wanted to have more faces but unfortunately my modeling software kept crashing when I had a smoother sphere Sad Nevertheless, since the die is only 16x16x16 mm, I hope the number of faces in the rounded part is enough anyway.

To Dadrummond: tank you! I did not notice tat. Tis has not been done intentionally, and I will fix tis typo as soon as possible Very Happy

UPDATE: the typo has been fixed!

[Updated on: Wed, 20 January 2010 22:58 UTC]

Re: Custom Color Rounded Die [message #9074 is a reply to message #9035 ] Mon, 18 January 2010 23:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dadrummond  is currently offline dadrummond
Go to my shop
Haha...glad to help. Your response made me laugh! Smile

------------------
Elytra on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/elytra
Custom Color Die [message #9104 is a reply to message #9074 ] Tue, 19 January 2010 20:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Hi all,

And now, here is the Custom Color Die:
index.php?t=getfile&id=2339&private=0
Once again, it is a co-creator model, so you can change the image just has the previous one...
It is 16x16x16 mm. It is not rounded this time, but the edges are smooth.

[Updated on: Tue, 19 January 2010 20:28 UTC]

Re: Custom Color Die [message #9962 is a reply to message #9104 ] Mon, 15 February 2010 13:59 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
I uploaded a new version of the Custom Color Die with more faces in the round part. It was 1853 polygons before and now it is 6727 polygons.

This has not been easy because my modeling tool kept crashing when there were too many faces, and when finally I managed to obtain the right result, I had some manifold problems when uploading the model in WRL format (the strange thing is that the upload worked in STL format or even in WRL if I scaled the model up 10x, whereas I think that actually I had a problem of duplicated vertices).

So many things to design, so little time...

Previous Topic:can't find inverted normals
Next Topic:manifold error using Maya 2009

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.