Higher quality materials and better finishes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 152230_deleted, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Shapeways should up their game to suit industrial designer type customers?
    I find most of the materials like strong and white to be a too low quality and finish is marginal.
    Wouldn't more options attract more customers?

From 3DSystems
    Latest developments in ColorJet 3D printing – now in full-color plastic
    Expanded capabilities in MultiJet 3D printing with simultaneous, multi-material composite printing
    Fab-grade performance of the newest SLA 3D printer enabling high volume manufacturing
    Production-grade SLS 3D printing delivering injection molding-like part quality
    Industrial-grade direct metal 3D printing with a large choice of metals and ceramics

2. Will you pay the premium price for higher quality products? There are other print services out there offering better finishes...at a cost of 10x what Shapeways charges.

This is not to say I don't want to see Shapeways offer better materials and finishes, but my guess to why they don't offer them yet.

3. The materials are probably not that different in cost per cubic cm.
    The printers probably are more expensive but I suspect if the quality was available
    At a competitive price people would go for it if the job required it.
    Why wouldn't they if already spending big $$$ with the high end
    printing services.
    Make high quality available to the masses I say.

4. daviesbobuk
    daviesbobuk Well-Known Member
    I like the sound of the new SLS printer, but I heard say it cost $0.5m

I wonder how much better it really is. Or can the existing machines work with the same, finer, powder and just change increment settings.

I suspect that the material cost is not a significant factor here, but it would take longer to produce models at the higher resolution.

5. They could do a kick starter to get a super expensive machine and then offer HQ printing at a
    Low cost in repayment to the kickstart contributors. Shape ways could make a fortune as all
    the current customers would want to have their current designs printed with the better machine.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014