How do I cancel an order once it's been placed but not yet processed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ihphobby, Mar 30, 2014.

1. ihphobby
    ihphobby Member
    I received an order through my Shapeways shop but there was a big mistake. The part was ordered in a material I did not want to offer and I did not specify a markup and therefore would make no profit on it. Can this kind of order be cancelled and the customer notified to re-order the part in the correct material? The order was just placed today. Thanks in advance,

2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Contact service@shapeways.com and see if they can stop the order. It's been my experience with canceling orders for the things I order for myself that once the order goes to production it cannot be canceled. So you'd want to contact them right away.

3. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    All he can hope is the model fails printability. It's not his order, but a customer's order. If SW cancels it because the designer said so, the customer can get very pissed.

4. UniverseBecoming
    HAHAHA! Shapeways doesn't care about making customers pissed. :D Shapeways is the KINGGG of canceling customer orders! :D

As an example, if Shapeways cared they'd contact the designers to make alterations BEFORE canceling orders. :D

Shapeways is just too large, too many employees, to care. Yes, Shapeways employees reading my statement would tend to disagree, because as individuals they do care. But not as a group. As a group they are like a horrific headless monster with hardly any feelings gobbling up profits by the millions. :)

This is what happens when companies get huge. They become beasts. :D

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Well, shapeways also has the ability to contact the original customer, and I would certainly hope that they would do that when a designer asks for cancellation of an order.

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Our response to this is on a case by case basis. If the reason to cancel the order is to prevent customer disappointment, we can cancel the order, and contact the customer explaining the situation. So, as suggested, contact service and plead your case.

7. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    James,

We're not a headless beast here ;-) we're a well oiled machine!

And i disagree that we do not care as a company on the whole.

We've focused since December on reducing rejections, and everyone in the whole company from the developers who build the website, the 3D printing engineers who check your models, the 3D tools team who build the software that checks wall thickness to the customer service team who answer all your questions... we are ALL focused on improving the experience.

If you look at how much work we've done, how many tools we've built, how many rejections we have reduced - you'd see we do care.

And we continue to care, by working hard to keep making Shapeways better.

Natalia

8. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Hey James,

Email service anyway and if we have time before the order starts* we can reach out to the customer and ask if they'd prefer to wait for a redesign.

responding to the "you've sold something on shapeways" email will be the quickest way.

*edit, if the order hasn't started yet.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  9. UniverseBecoming
    I know you care. :) Each of you care. Each of you have a rope tied to the beast and you're all trying to tame it down, which would be the well oiled machine part, the well oiled machine tugging on the ropes of the beast. Funny thing is, how did it get this way in the first place? How this happens to large companies is like a weird phenomenon to me. :)

You guys will get there one day. :)

10. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Customer asked for a given material at a given price and paid, designer wants other material(s) at different price(s). Hard to see how that relates to redesings, the item could print in the "erroneous" material.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  11. ihphobby
    ihphobby Member
    Wow, I didn't think this would cause so much friction. I merely wanted to know if it was possible because 1) the material was not specified for this part, it seems it was available by mistake, therefore the customer will not get the best quality part I want them to, and 2) there was no markup specified, therefore I make nothing on a part that isn't the quality I want the customer to get anyway.

It was obviously a mistake on my part not to make sure the materials were all correctly selected for the part. Looks like I just missed unchecking the box for the material in question that I didn't want. I can't be the only person this has happened to and I wondered if there was some way to rescind this kind of order and be able to offer a re-order in the correct material and process.

For what it's worth, I've been selling our 3D products through Shapeways for almost two years now and it's been a good overall experience to this point.

12. I write here, because I cannot get answer from customer support via mail.

I have placed an order containing a WSF and a FUD model just before the price changing madness.
    A few days ago (8 days after I placed the order!) I got a notification, that the WSF part will be delayed by three weeks.
    This is not acceptable for me, as I needed those parts much earlier, so I have to order them elsewhere.
    However, I still need the FUD part, and it's already being printed.

I wanted to ask customer support, if they can cancel only the WSF part of my order, or should I cancel the whole order, and reorder only the FUD model?
    I tried twice, but did not get any answer...
    I understand you're busy with the relocation, but it's important for me that I don't want shapeways print that particular WSF model anymore, as it would be useless for me, three weeks later than I needed them... Not mentioning that it also delays the shipping of the FUD part, which I also need soon.

I hope someone reads this here and I can get an answer finally.

Have a nice day all!
    Peter

13. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Did you email service@shapeways.com directly, or did you use the contact form on the website (which has been known to be somewhat unreliable in the past) ?

14. Hi, I sent direct emails to service@shapeways.com.

Actually, that is what they advised in the notification mail about the delayed order:
    "If this timeline does not meet your needs, you can cancel your order in your "My Orders" page, or contact our customer service team at service@shapeways.com."

I see I cannot cancel the whole order, because the FUD part is already in production, so I have to wait for customer service.

15. Customer service contacted me and found a solution to my problem.
    Now I also understand they are pretty busy these days...