Beginning research to possibly get some flight simulator items made

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 526885_deleted, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Hello All,

Got here from reading a blog on the Adafruit website and like the concept of being able to get around the issue of needing to buying things like 3-printers and such in order to get some custom pieces made. Sounds like I may be able to propose some thing here (ideas) and maybe have someone see it and realize that it's something that can be done without too much headache and cost.

What I would be looking at are items geared to to flight simulation. For many people using flight simulator software, the hardware being used helps with immersion. Lots of hardware out there for this but some of whats out there beyond the basic control yoke or joystick, can be expensive. This leads to some people creating their own custom controllers and switch panels using low cost hobby electronics and buttons.

So basically one of my ideas for this is to create some small individual items that could be used as just simple component parts of a bigger custom project as well as some custom parts that can be used to enhance some existing hardware. Right now the options for those looking to keep costs low, you buy stuff on ebay and in hardware stores and then craft for the use. For a particular item I'm looking at right now, it's a simple T-handled lever that connects to a potentiometer. To get this right now I search ebay for old unwanted controllers OR busted newer controllers, problem is that to just get the lever you still pay way too much and the lever arm may be too short for what I want.

The second Idea I have comes from that I'm left handed and most of the controller hardware out there is geared for right handed users. There's also controllers that are designed to be used for either hand, but these (at least for me and some other lefties) are too simple and are not really what we would like to use. For this I was thinking that a person could review an existing controller (setup for a right handed person) and model a copy that fits a left handed user. The left handed user would then swap out the electronics and have a controller they would be happy with.

This could go further with lots of items geared to the flight sim enthusiast, there items like trim wheels, levers for throttle quadrants, panels with realistic knobs, buttons that have a realistic look/feel just to name a few items.

Searching the net for flight simulator hardware and for flight simulator pits can show how much people can get into this..........it's just that some of this stuff can be too expensive for the casual user or a user not having the same budget but wanting similar results at lower costs.

Not sure the work involved so would need feedback on feasibility and potential costs. Personally I think that once some items are done and the files are out there then others could benefit of using this on Shapeways. Anyone willing to spend web time to investigate this?

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member