Tube Launched Model Rocket

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by lymanbishop, Mar 20, 2014.

1. lymanbishop
    lymanbishop Well-Known Member
    This is a tube launched model rocket originally designed for Red jacket Firearms; "Sons of Guns" on Discovery Channel. This model has been modified to an inert version for hobbyists that want to try something completely new.

Designed to fly at either a shallow arc, almost horizontally, or straight up. It includes an optional camera mount nosecone which will allow you to take video of the rocket "in-flight" from the same perspective as a guided missile. This is absolutely amazing and extremely accurate.

The video below shows the rocket being fired from 400 yards. I aimed directly at the cameraman and let the crosswind keep it from hitting him in the head. As you will see it landed within 20 feet of the target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkg8fPEsQ3I&index=25&amp ;list=FLOEnBXwcBeKQvaEn8wU5smA

I will upload the nosecone footage shortly.

All parts are available in my Shapeways store with the exception of the camera and parachute. Sold separately.

NLR.JPG NLR components.JPG

2. Really cool idea. Like the idea of building a rocket to house a camera. Did you use a typical hobby rocket engine to launch it?Also do you happen to live in Nevada? Almost looks like an area by my neighborhood where you launched that.

3. lymanbishop
    We used a standard Estes "D3" engine to get a range of 400 yards at that trajectory.
    Good observation regarding the location. We were in Las Vegas when we tested it. Just outside of town at the RC plane area. I however live in the great State of Montana.

4. Cool, thanks for engine info. Yea, I know that RC Area really well, hope you had fun while you were out here :)

5. lymanbishop
    It was awesome. We were out there testing a variety of weapons designs I put together with a retired SOCOM Colonel. The rockets blew his mind.

I will upload more videos soon. My neighbor has 100 flat acres and we will be doing a nosecone camera test shortly. I've tested it before but lost the rocket once and broke the camera on the other. That's why I added a parachute and have been waiting for the right area to test. Check back in a week or so.