Gold Plated Brass Pricing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mingles, Mar 18, 2014.

1. mingles
    mingles Member
    Hi there,

I have intentions to create some larger (~5cm^3) models in the precious metals, more specifically, Gold Plated Brass.

Whilst looking at the pricing as the model increases in size, I can see that it far more expensive that the 'Polished Brass'. Please do excuse me if I am being ignorant of the production process, but as I am currently aware, the Gold Plated Brass is simply Polished Brass after some time in an electroplating bath?

Whilst I believe there needs to be a 'premium' cost for the gold plated add on, it just seems quite expensive to me to add $10 to the handling fee and then have a larger price per cm^3 especially when we compare it to the gold plated stainless steel option which simply has $3 added to the startup fee.

As I said above, I apologise if I am ignorant to the production process with both the brass and steel. I am assuming heavily here that the electroplating process for both materials are the same. I'd be very interested in hearing how the two processes differ if I am wrong.

I'm currently edging towards ordering my items in just Polished Brass as I'm not sure I can justify the larger amount for gold plating if the other steel items in the electroplating bath are getting all this shiny goodness for only $3 more than original steel price!

Thanks!

Michael

2. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    Hi Michael,

good question.

The gold plated brass is indeed plated brass, however to make it look really good it gets an extra high polish before we plate it. This is extra work and actually quite dependent on the size of the model. Also there is extra charge for the plating process itself and the bigger the model the more gold required (although arguably still small amounts).

Gold plated stainless is a totally different process, with a substantially different surface finish. The gold plated brass having the shinier finish.

Hope this helps.

Pete