Home » Support » 3D Printing » Increasing stiffness with carbon rods?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Increasing stiffness with carbon rods? [message #86246] Sat, 15 March 2014 14:00 UTC Go to next message
avatar feklee  is currently offline feklee
Go to my shop
I am thinking about reinforcing a WSF printed object with carbon rods. At modulor.de I could buy: Pultruded carbon fibre (CRP) tube, ø 3.0 mm

The idea would be to put channels of 3 mm diameter into the design, that can accomodate the carbon rods.

Any experience? Suggestions?

[Updated on: Sat, 15 March 2014 17:27 UTC]

Re: Increasing stiffness with carbon rods? [message #86255 is a reply to message #86246 ] Sat, 15 March 2014 17:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
I've no experience with combining Shapeways WSF with carbon rods, but the principle seems sound.
I'd watch out for print tolerances though, maybe make the channels slightly undersized with a view to bore them out to the right size.

Paul

Re: Increasing stiffness with carbon rods? [message #86294 is a reply to message #86255 ] Sun, 16 March 2014 19:16 UTC Go to previous message
avatar feklee  is currently offline feklee
Go to my shop
stop4stuff wrote on Sat, 15 March 2014 17:24

maybe make the channels slightly undersized with a view to bore them out to the right size.

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul! However, boring out the channels with a normal drill would be problematic: They are somewhere around 20 cm long.

Previous Topic:Lead time of Elasto-Plastic
Next Topic:Wall thickness for a lamp shade?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.