Need help for an ( cool ) birthday present

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 508862_deleted, Mar 7, 2014.

1. I want to create a 3D-model of Leonas' zenith blade (a sword from a LeagueOfLegends Character) and want
    to 3D-print it out. (ca. 20cm x 7cm x 3cm) But before uploading it i have some questions.

How much money would i save if my model would be hollow instead of dense.
    Is it really worth to model it hollow ( because i really struggle at doin this).
    If i upload a dense sword is there a " service" which could make it hollow ?
    And how big could it be if i want to pay max 60$

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Shapeways will not print 'weapons' over 10cm long, so your other questions may be academic...

3. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
    Hi.

I' looking at your nice model, and I think in 20 cm (you have to re-scale five or six times to that) you haven't many chances to hollow it. And you need to make holes to leave it hollow, that could be ugly in this model when it's printed.

You have to check the minimum thickness for the material you choose, and then watch if there's possible to make it hollow.

There isn't service to make it hollow. I could re-design it and upload it in my shop (now I can't use your file, unless you save it in .ipt), but you have all the work done yet. It don't deserve the effort.

Best you can do is to upload it in some sizes and watch the results. Upload a model is free.

I hope this helps you.

Best regards from the sunny Spain.

Luis

4. Hey,
    i would rather consider it as a "toy" than a "weapon". If i make my model smooth and fix the sharp points would it be possible to print ??
    It wont hurt anyone.I will guarantee it :).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  5. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Due to the worldwide nature of Shapeways distribution and Netherlands law, Shapeways are unable to produce anything that could be mistaken as a weapon, whether or not it actually is a weapon unless the size is 10cm or smaller.

Call it a letter opener and you might get away with it [​IMG]

[hr][hr]