Home » Support » 3D Design » UV Maps tips and tricks
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
UV Maps tips and tricks [message #8784] Thu, 07 January 2010 21:36 UTC Go to next message
avatar Ushanka  is currently offline Ushanka
Go to my shop
Wow, that color sandstone material looks really promising. Of course, now I'm going to have to learn how to make UV maps...

Does anyone have any recommended tools/techniques/software for adding texture maps to my meshes? Right now I'm using Solid Edge, which I don't think has an easy texture-mapping tool.

Right now I'm just hoping to do some simple coloration, like coloring a complex mesh with a single color. I'd also like to print a colored, desktop-sized replica of Gerrit Rietveld's famous chair. I love that chair.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 January 2010 21:37 UTC]

Re: UV Maps tips and tricks [message #8803 is a reply to message #8784 ] Fri, 08 January 2010 10:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dotsan  is currently offline Dotsan
Go to my shop
Hi Ushanka, I've getting my head around Blender for UV unwrapping. I've found this to be the best because it is free and there are more than enough video tutorial to help you get going.
I've been through the learning barrier, drop me a line with any questions.
Cheers
V

http://www.dotsan.com

[Updated on: Fri, 08 January 2010 10:51 UTC]

www.dotsan.com
Re: UV Maps tips and tricks [message #8847 is a reply to message #8803 ] Sat, 09 January 2010 12:16 UTC Go to previous message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
Blender is capable of more, but for very simple work, SketchUp can auto-generate UVs for your model. It's simple box-mapping and you don't have tools to change orientation, only size. If you have a tileable map and only one texture the results are not half bad, and more importantly it's quick and intuitive.

I made a tutorial on how to get started here:

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=1839&a mp;start=0&S=e47620164873de8b49e7af7d9ba093e1

Once the mapping is applied, MeshLab does have tools for manually editing UVs for each poly if you want to try that.

The big step beyond these simple solutions is to apply a cylindrical or spherical projection to the whole object at once. This takes more advanced software like Blender. I'm checking out various free packages to see if any of them have strengths in this area. I will let everyone know what I find!

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog

Previous Topic:3ds Max STL Export Errors
Next Topic:Shells=Non-manifold error?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.