Home » Support » 3D Printing » Are deviations repeatable?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Are deviations repeatable? [message #85382] Mon, 24 February 2014 18:44 UTC Go to next message
avatar mcberndos  is currently offline mcberndos
Go to all my models
Hey shapeways experts,

If a printed model has a deviation, would the deviation be the same when printing it again or is this always a different deviation?
I am especially looking at bronze printing,

Thanks in advance!
Bernd
Re: Are deviations repeatable? [message #85422 is a reply to message #85382 ] Tue, 25 February 2014 15:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
What kind of deviation are you talking about? Seeing all pieces are produced individually, any deviations probably won't be repeated 100% of the time.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Are deviations repeatable? [message #85435 is a reply to message #85422 ] Tue, 25 February 2014 20:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mcberndos  is currently offline mcberndos
Go to all my models
Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry that I was not clear.

I mean deviations in length, diameter, etc.

I know that each part is produced individually, but maybe you experienced some repeating accuracy when printing the same part for several times.
Re: Are deviations repeatable? [message #85437 is a reply to message #85382 ] Tue, 25 February 2014 20:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Ah, especially with the cast metals, there is shrinkage from the cooling metal. A lot of this depends on the geometry, so it should be fairly repeatable. Some depends on conditions, and vent location which can vary from print to print.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Are deviations repeatable? [message #85442 is a reply to message #85382 ] Tue, 25 February 2014 22:29 UTC Go to previous message
avatar MrNib  is currently offline MrNib
Go to my shop
By definition possible deviations are described by tolerance values for the different materials. Since it's a statistical measure you can't always expect a consistent deviation or change from design file to final product, or at least it's not something Shapeways would gaurantee.

Previous Topic:laserscan vs photogrammetry
Next Topic:Revert to a previous version of the model ?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.