Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Printing » ABS material available?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
ABS material available? [message #85374] Mon, 24 February 2014 17:58 UTC Go to next message
avatar alpus  is currently offline alpus
Go to all my models
I can't find ABS on Shapeways, despite it being the most common and most functional of materials in the 3D printing world. Am I wrong?
thanks
Matt
Re: ABS material available? [message #85413 is a reply to message #85374 ] Tue, 25 February 2014 12:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Wahtah  is currently offline Wahtah
Go to my shop
You're right that you can't find it. ABS is used with consumer level 3d printers that use the extrusion process.

Shapeways used to offer this, but decided to concentrate on the kinds of printing that aren't available to everyone. And also if I remember correctly because the printers aren't really professional machines, there was too much time involved getting things to print successfully. Which is okay if you are tinkering at home, but not good for a high volume business.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 February 2014 12:20 UTC]

Re: ABS material available? [message #85414 is a reply to message #85413 ] Tue, 25 February 2014 13:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Wahtah  is currently offline Wahtah
Go to my shop
see also the same question asked a day before :)

https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=18179 &start=0&
Re: ABS material available? [message #85446 is a reply to message #85413 ] Wed, 26 February 2014 01:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
ABS is also used by professional machines, not just consumer ones (where PLA is common too). SW had Stratasys 400 with PC or ABS.
Re: ABS material available? [message #85626 is a reply to message #85446 ] Fri, 28 February 2014 20:50 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Batjeepster  is currently offline Batjeepster
Go to my shop
I agree...I would love to do some prints in ABS for doing some molds I am working on.

Previous Topic:Printing an assembly with interlocking parts
Next Topic:Help! I got Thin Walls!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.