Problems with wall thickness, or getting through the checks

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 404972_deleted, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Hello,

I need to develop prototypes for my startup fast, fail fast and try again!
    My parts do not meet the minimal bounding box (12 mm) of Frosted ultra detail.
    So I added little cylinders (D=0.7 mm) that make sure I do. (cannot be increased to D=0.8 mm)
    I will cut those off when they arrive at home, so i do not care if they are crooked.
    But my models get rejected sometimes because the cylinders are seen as unsupported wires, which need a thickness of D>0.8
    But if Shapeways sees them as walls than my models are accepted and printed, and are delivered nicely to my company doorstep.

I would like to upload models and order them without checks, taking the risk of a print failure in my own hands, disregarding some design rules.
    Can this be done?

Kind regards,
    Bouwy

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    If your cylinders are currently 0.7mm and you are just cutting them off, can't you just go to 0.8mm?

3. fair point, forgot to mention that.
    The geometry of my models don't have a surface that can fit a D=0.8 mm cylinder.

I gave it a second try and uploaded my models with an extension that is "U" shaped.
    I hope the extensions will now be seen as walls.

For the future it would be great though to have a special corporate treatment of some kind that enables me to discard the design rules.
    And I understand that some rules need to be there for operational reasons.
    e.g. the minimal bounding box, so that they don't loose any parts.