Home » Support » 3D Printing » Why no FDM printed ABS?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Why no FDM printed ABS? [message #85303] Sun, 23 February 2014 14:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar feklee  is currently offline feklee
Go to my shop
As far as I can tell, FDM printing of ABS plastics is quite popular. The resulting parts have good mechanical properties. Asides from professional printers, most prominently by Statasys, there are comparatively cheap products for tinkering at home: RepRap Project, MakerBot, etc.

Why doesn't Shapeways offer FDM printing of ABS? Any plans?
Re: Why no FDM printed ABS? [message #85318 is a reply to message #85303 ] Sun, 23 February 2014 22:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Sw offered FDM, even with smoothing at some point, and they dropped it completly.
Re: Why no FDM printed ABS? [message #85319 is a reply to message #85318 ] Sun, 23 February 2014 23:13 UTC Go to previous message
avatar feklee  is currently offline feklee
Go to my shop
stannum wrote on Sun, 23 February 2014 22:57

Sw offered FDM, even with smoothing at some point, and they dropped it completly.

That's a pity. Perhaps it's because FDM requires making compromises concerning geometry, compared to say SLS. Also, among the target audience, many may have a MakerBot or similar at home, and then paying for a service seems less appealing.

I guess I'll check with other providers, because for my current project I'd like to have a robust material such as ABS, and preferably solidly colored in black.

Interestingly, the EU headquarters of Stratasys are just some kilometers from my current location (Baden-Baden). Unfortunately, they don't offer printing services, at least I'm not aware of that.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 February 2014 06:40 UTC]

Previous Topic:Overglazing 3D printed Ceramics
Next Topic:250 mm wall in Strong & Flexible: How to prevent warping?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.