Co-Creator Volume

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by Youknowwho4eva, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Why is the Co-Creator Volume needed? The way I do my co-creators is the model I upload is designed to be the max volume, Then I have to go check the volume to insert it. Any way this can be made to use the volume of the uploaded model if not filled in? And I haven't tried this yet, but is the system set up to stop an order and display an error of an upload exceeds this volume?

2. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Hi,

If your uploaded model already has the correct volume, there is an easy way to obtain its value without going back to your modelling software:
    - if you are out of Europe, take its price (without markup) in Stainless Steel and divide it by 10.
    - if you are in Europe, divide it by 10 and then by 1.19 (cause the price you see includes the VAT)
    Hope this helps...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  3. Youknowwho4eva
    Just as easy to do a mass properties and hit cm in my software, but I think something needs to be changed about the co-creators, pricing, and volume.

4. pp
    pp Member
    Working on it.
    The solution you are talking about is good.

I am now looking to have this filed auto filled with the volume of the model you turned into a template. This filed will be editable if you want....

Hope to be able to offer this soon.
    We post any new features or functionality releases in the organizational announcement. Keep you eye on it.

Any other ideas on the pricing of Creators?

Peter Paul

5. Youknowwho4eva
    What about an "open volume"? So the item wouldn't have a set volume or price. It's listed price would/could be something like the max. Less volume less cost. More volume (with customer approval) more cost.

6. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    Hi guys,

the volume question is a valid one. Perhaps we can discuss this, because it is not easy to solve.

We need to solve the following:

You price a co-creator item at a certain price.
    Why? Because when someone orders it, he pays BEFORE you start modeling it.

After ordering the shop owner remodels according to specs and it is then mandatory not to exceed the max volume otherwise the customer has not paid enough. That is why the max volume is needed.

Now we could change the flow, but that would mean that the customer only pays after you remodel, however due to time lag, your conversion to order will be <100% and probably significantly so.

Feedback appreciated.

Pete

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  7. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    I'm happy with the current system !! :)

Any variability would undermine the ease of buying : customer sees product, fills in details, orders and pays.
    Which is the strong point of the co-creators I think.

For other more complicated or custom jobs we are only a personal message away to the customer. Which seems less complicated than a customer who can select a model but then has to wait for a final price..

And my experience so far is, that if a customer wants something different, they have no trouble in messaging/contacting me.

8. Youknowwho4eva
    It is a very tricky widget. I do forsee, if it hasn't happened yet, someone ordering a co-creator from a no longer active member. I know personally I'd take a pay cut if the volume were more then listed, as long as when it's less I get a pay increase instead of shapeways getting it when the volume is less.

9. euphy
    euphy Member
    I'm pretty happy with the current pricing model too - it is a bit weird, and could maybe be described differently, but I don't think it's a bad solution to a tricky problem. The selling price has to be fixed for the reasons Pete says.

But I would like to be able to set a retail price, rather than arrive at a retail price by adding my markup. And my retail price would be equal to the printing cost of the largest version of my model plus whatever minimum markup I decided to award myself. If the model was smaller, then my profit margin would be slightly higher. If I didn't properly specify the boundaries of the sizing parameter, and someone ordered a gigantic version, then I might end up making no profit at all, and that would be my own fault.

I think at the moment there is almost a disincentive to use co-creators because the actual cost of the model will always work out to be a little cheaper than what is charged, and so sellers think they should receive the difference as extra profit, and buyers would prefer to just pay slightly less in the first place. It creates an reason to try and work outside the shapeways selling model, if you see what I mean, and arrange the sale manually with a specially listed model instead.

Personally I am not bothered about the few cents difference that shapeways gets to keep if a customer orders a small model with the current co-creator method - I see it as a commission fee paid to shapeways for arranging the sale. But I would prefer to be able to specify a particular retail price without so much guesswork.

10. 27842_deleted
    27842_deleted Member
    I've been trying to upload my bike opener to a customer since last Friday. I keep getting that volume error message. I don't want the person to think I didn't update the model. Because I did. I keep trying to upload and I get errors, but the model is printable if I upload as a separate model. I don't care if I get paid for this one. I just want the customer to get the model.

Please Help

Thanks!!!

11. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    You mean that the problem is that the model you are uploading has a volume that is a bit larger that what you indicated into the co-creator form, right?

Unfortunately, the only way to be able to upload the customized model is to reduce its volume so that it is equal or inferior to what you previously indicated.

I had this issue and the difference was ridiculously low, so I just applied a scale of 99.95% to the customised model and was then able to upload it.

If this does not work for you, you could perhaps first update your co-creator model with the correct maximum volume value and then contact you customer or Shapeways in order to cancel this order, and ask the customer to order again...

12. pp
    pp Member
    Hi Shaputer,

We managed to get the file fixed. It was done automatically so I can't exactly let you know what was wrong. It wasn't the volume ;)

The fixed file should be in your mail box now.
    We also have added the file to the order so this is proceeding to production. We will do our best to make up for the delay.

rgds Peter Paul

13. 27842_deleted
    27842_deleted Member
    Thanks I actually did what you said. The new model is actually slightly smaller. I had to adjust the size a little for functionality purposes.

I get this error: "It did not pass the check Volume validation"

I updated the model template already. I'll try to have the customer cancel and reorder so It will work.

Thanks for your help,
    Shana :D

14. 27842_deleted
    27842_deleted Member
    WOW !!! Thanks !! Just noticed your post. Will look for that !!!

Shapeways IS THE BEST !!

15. 27842_deleted
    27842_deleted Member
    pp,

I didn't get that fixed file in my inbox. Did I miss something ?

16. pp
    pp Member
    Just re-send it to you via PM

17. 27842_deleted
    27842_deleted Member
    GOT IT

Thanks again