Home » Support » 3D Design » Wall Thickness unresolved
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Wall Thickness unresolved [message #84804] Wed, 12 February 2014 23:33 UTC Go to next message
avatar IceDragon2013  is currently offline IceDragon2013
Go to all my models
Well....

im going to try this one last time....

I understand the wall thickness of a bowl....as i can SEE IT with my physical eyes. But with a sword for JEWELRY/KEYCHAIN purposes, i cannot find a wall that is like that of a bowl's wall thickness.

Im going to upload an image. And i want folks to help me locate where the thin walls are.

ive seen swords on here for action figures, legos that somehow made it through....IF it's the blade that needs to be reworked into having extra sides, i can do that. But ive not received a clear answer.

For example: this blade has 4 faces. Now if there are 8 faces, its clear that i cannot see them. Is THIS the problem?
*Example --> https://www.shapeways.com/model/1144604/sword-of-storms.html ?li=search-results&materialId=28

Re: Wall Thickness unresolved [message #84814 is a reply to message #84804 ] Thu, 13 February 2014 07:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns is currently online AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The thin walls are probably the edges of your sword - as the blade comes to a (sharp) edge, the thickness becomes too small. This value will vary depending on the printing material. The normal solution is to 'blunt' the edges or change the angle at which they come together.

The same will be true, but more so, at the point.

But, in any case, Shapeways will not print any weapon over 10cm long - your sword is over 30cm long. So you may need to rethink...
Re: Wall Thickness unresolved [message #84874 is a reply to message #84814 ] Thu, 13 February 2014 21:45 UTC Go to previous message
avatar IceDragon2013  is currently offline IceDragon2013
Go to all my models
30cm?? what? i last checked it was 5 cm ><.

Well glad you caught it! thanks!

but i understand better now at what needs to be done.

so the vertices at the point of the blade cannot converge? so i have to "dull" it a bit eh?

Previous Topic:2x Scale Fails Thickness Tests
Next Topic:Supported Wires Shape and Size

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.