Material heat resistance and condictivity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ackbahr, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ackbahr
    ackbahr Member
    Hi!
    I'm trying to make candle holders that would work with those tiny candles that come in tiny aluminum cups. I was wondering what materials would stand the temperature of the candle? And as the idea is for the candle holder to attach to wood shelves, is it risky in case the heat conducts through the material into the wood?
    Thanks!
    Jean

2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    The metals and ceramic are the ones that can stand up to the heat of a candle. None of which would be able to conduct enough heat to cause a wooden shelf to reach kindling temperature though.

HOWEVER!

Ceramic has a slight chance of cracking via the flame heating it unevenly so there would be a minute amount of risk with that.

You could probably get away with the plastic materials if you left it in the aluminum container. Those kinds of candles are commonly know as tea candles by the way.

To use plastic one would probably need to use some kind of insulator between the aluminum container and the plastic I'm thinking. Also, the flame may be capable of heating the plastic by radiant heating to the point of softening the plastic. To go with plastic you'd need to do some experimentation to see what you could get away with.