Home » Support » Buying » First buy questions
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
First buy questions [message #84656] Mon, 10 February 2014 12:36 UTC Go to next message
avatar MayCrown  is currently offline MayCrown
Go to my shop
Hi to all shapeway community,

http://shpws.me/qLdz

This is my own product. I want to buy it to take a look how it is physically.

1) From the available materials, which material would look better in terms of both keeping the details and looking awesome and eye-catching? I thought brass would look good. But I've read that polishing can lessen the details. But maybe it will not be the case with my cufflink. If the details would be there I will prefer polished brass. If it would look still cool without polishing, I will prefer raw brass. Please give me an honest review, and guide me. I will not judge you forever. So there's no need to beat around the bush I think. It may be another material too.

2) In the ordering page, the shipping cost for my country automatically pops up. That's ok but it doesn't change whether I enter 1 or 1000 to the quantity box. Does that mean I am charged with the same shipping cost for a single item and 1000 of them?

3) How fragile do become these things? Considering they're hollow. For example, do they easily bent if I squeeze them with my thumb and forefinger (not with full power of course) ?

Best regards,
Re: First buy questions [message #84674 is a reply to message #84656 ] Mon, 10 February 2014 15:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
1) polishing will reduce fine details. I love the raw brass myself. This ring is raw brass, and about half the size of a real zipper.
https://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_1621900_2077351_1391012307.jpg
2) Shipping is per order, not by the order quantity
3) Depends on the thickness. The cast metals are pretty malleable at the minimum thicknesses.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: First buy questions [message #84677 is a reply to message #84656 ] Mon, 10 February 2014 16:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Quote:

Considering they're hollow.

Models are only hollow if you make them so. For your cuff link I would be surprised if it was possible to make it hollow.

Also, I know you say that buying the items separately allows you to mix materials/colours but if you sell them in pairs they will be much cheaper in the metals, and this is allowed for cuff links, earrings and similar (?) items.
Re: First buy questions [message #84679 is a reply to message #84656 ] Mon, 10 February 2014 16:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@youknowwho4eva
Thank you for your fast reply. My model is from a 3d scan. So is very thin. I don't remember at the moment if I've thickened it a little or not. Even if I've thickened it shouldn't be much. But it passed the automatic wall thickness test. Just failed for steel.
Your zipper ring is very cool btw.

@AmLachDesigns
It's already hollow. Why are you surprised? When I get to my computer later, I'm gonna post an image. Some cufflinks on shapeways are sold in pairs, some are sold single. You can take a look.
And what do you think of raw brass? Would it look nice on my gamepad model?

Best regards.
Re: First buy questions [message #84685 is a reply to message #84679 ] Mon, 10 February 2014 17:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Quote:

It's already hollow. Why are you surprised?

Where is the escape hole? I am surprised that such a small object could be physically hollow and still be printable.
Re: First buy questions [message #84690 is a reply to message #84685 ] Mon, 10 February 2014 20:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
index.php?t=getfile&id=51647&private=0
I'm new to 3d printing.

Thank you very much AmLachDesigns for opening my eyes.

1) It seems my cufflink is too small in size. I was misguided by someone else. Here I downloaded some cufflinks from shapeways, including a shapeways design called "PW". My cufflink is so small compared to them. This means it will not work. So I will scale my model up accordingly.

2) About the escape hole. Ooopsiee, I didn't know I have to put an escape hole. I will post another picture about it.

3) About the wall thickness, I will inspect it again. But my model passes the automatic wall thickness inspections. Can I be happy about it?

• Attachment: 1.jpg
    (Size: 27.77KB, Downloaded 222 time(s))

[Updated on: Mon, 10 February 2014 20:46 UTC]

Re: First buy questions [message #84691 is a reply to message #84656 ] Mon, 10 February 2014 20:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
index.php?t=getfile&id=51646&private=0

How do you think it would be if I put 4 escape points on like the image?

How big should these points should be?

• Attachment: 4.jpg
    (Size: 60.44KB, Downloaded 220 time(s))

[Updated on: Mon, 10 February 2014 20:42 UTC]

Re: First buy questions [message #84693 is a reply to message #84690 ] Mon, 10 February 2014 20:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Quote:

About the escape hole. Ooopsiee, I didn't know I have to put an escape hole. I will post another picture about it.

3) About the wall thickness, I will inspect it again.

Most people would not try to make these objects hollow, in my opinion. The actual volume of material is small and so the possible savings are small and the structural disadvantages/difficulties relatively large. Most of the cost of these items is the handling fee, which is also why I suggest selling these in pairs - you will get two cuff links effectively for the same price as one. If you experiment with different models and upload them, watching the variation in price you will see what I mean.
Re: First buy questions [message #84694 is a reply to message #84693 ] Mon, 10 February 2014 21:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
index.php?t=getfile&id=51648&private=0

So my model may not be hollow you say. I'm very confused now. This is a 3d scan. When I looked at it in clipping view mode, it seems hollow to me. What do you say?

• Attachment: 5.jpg
    (Size: 59.02KB, Downloaded 205 time(s))

Re: First buy questions [message #84696 is a reply to message #84656 ] Mon, 10 February 2014 21:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
index.php?t=getfile&id=51649&private=0
I will answer my own question. I understand now that 3d printers assume that my model is a full solid model and fills the inside completely. It's not empty as it seems on the software and hollowing means to define an inner boundary to tell the 3d printer that it shouldn't fill everywhere.

Is it the case?

And this image is the the shapeways' cufflink design. When I look at the cross-section, it seems like hollow but in fact it's not, right?
When it's printed, it's full of metal I think. And that was you're talking about. It's so tiny that hollowing out would be meaningless.

• Attachment: 6.jpg
    (Size: 52.45KB, Downloaded 195 time(s))

[Updated on: Tue, 11 February 2014 18:04 UTC]

Re: First buy questions [message #84718 is a reply to message #84696 ] Tue, 11 February 2014 04:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You've got it ...

And even if you design a model that is truly hollow, i.e. with walls of a certain thickness and a void in the middle, if there is no hole between the inner void and the outside, SW software will create a solid model anyway.

Good luck!
Re: First buy questions [message #84736 is a reply to message #84656 ] Tue, 11 February 2014 13:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Is this official shapeways cufflink reliable to compare with, in dimension, in all aspects?
http://shpws.me/lmtx
Re: First buy questions [message #85497 is a reply to message #84736 ] Thu, 27 February 2014 00:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I don't know about the cufflink in queston, have look about on the internet, there are many different styles of cufflink with differing dimensions. A good idea would be to visit a local store and measure what they have in stock.

A model is a surface built up of triangles to form a 'shell' or 'mesh' - you got it right in assuming the inside is full.
If your software can't measure wall thicknesses, get yourself a copy of NetFabb Studio Basic (its free), load up your model and use the ruler tool to measure your model wall thicknesses. NetFabb will also show up any errors in the structure of the mesh and can repair many common issues (holes, flipped triangles etc)

For a model to be truely hollow, the model needs two shells one inside the other connected by a tunnel, effectively creating one surface.

Good luck,
Paul

Re: First buy questions [message #85508 is a reply to message #85497 ] Thu, 27 February 2014 08:37 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
index.php?t=getfile&id=53199&private=0

Thank you very much for your reply dear Paul.

I got my first product in raw brass, it's size is OK I think. If you may look at the picture.

But unfortunately I'm disappointed with the quality of the product. In the below thread I complained about the situation.

https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=18233 &start=0&

[Updated on: Thu, 27 February 2014 08:41 UTC]

Previous Topic:Billing Address P.O. Box
Next Topic:Question from a complete newbie: price for complex designs

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.