Total Newbie here need some help

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 492348_deleted, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Ok so I'm a complete noob when it comes to 3D modeling

I'm working in Sculptirs & I also have ZBrush (not using it yet)

The issues I'm having
    When I upload in mm my model is tiny .25" when I re-opload in inches it's huge 19" and crazy expensive

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong

Again I'm working in Sculptirs & exporting the file as .obj before uploading

File size is right at 64mb

Thanks in advance for any help & sorry if I put this in the wrong area

Attached Files:

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Check if there is a separate "export units" setting in sculptris, possibly your model is currently exported in centimeter units.
    Get netfabb studio basic (freeware available from netfabb.com) and rescale your model there (with the "Scale" tool in the "Part" menu) if you cannot find the relevant settings in sculptris.

3. DBTops
    DBTops Well-Known Member
    Inside Zbrush there is a 3D print exporter with very specific size export options, Zbrushcentral.com has lots of resources for learning.

4. thanks yeah I downloaded netfabb & resized but now when I upload it says the the model failed. Anyone know any reason for this?

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    This certainly should not happen. Make sure that the new file is still under 64MB - if in doubt, zip it for upload.
    While in netfabb, did you get a warning triangle displayed next to your model ? Also check the triangle and shell count in netfabb to make
    sure that you have one "watertight" part with less than one million triangles. If no obvious problems, try exporting to STL format in case something is amiss in the OBJ writing code of netfabb.

6. thanks yeah tried all that. I'm starting to think the file became corrupted some how. The original file uploaded just fine, but could only be printed in one material due to it's small size. Now that I've fixed it & tried to upload again I get an error every time :( I contacted customer support because I can't see a reason for this happening. File is under 64mb under the triangle count & if I repair in Netfabb it shows the repair to be fine.

Oh and as for Zbrush I only have 4 so no 3D printing export that I can fine & I've looked on their site & can find no plugins for the one I have. Guess it's time to update Zbursh LOL