Home » Support » 3D Design » Engraving with a rounded grove in Blender
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Engraving with a rounded grove in Blender [message #84021] Wed, 29 January 2014 07:16 UTC Go to next message
avatar mfeygel  is currently offline mfeygel
Go to all my models
Hello, I am trying to engrave a rather simple linear design (several segments, circles and letter-like symbols) on a flat surface (in Blender). I need the grove to be rounded, not rectangular in cross-section. I imported my linear design as .svg, but could not create a beveled profile, only straight-sided extrusion. This straight extrusion design I could Boolean subtract from my surface, but it is not what I need. I was able to export a beveled design as Photoshop 3D layer in .dae; this thing would import in Blender and also show as printable (not non-manifold, etc.) in Shapeways print check tool - however, it would not subtract from the surface. So, I need help and advice on
1. How to create a beveled linear design from .svg or .png in Blender
2. And/or how to subtract it from my surface (flat, many polygons) - any workarounds for Boolean unpredictable behavior?
3. Or what makes a Photoshop import invisible for subtract? How do I fix it? I exported (experimentally) a beveled random letter from Photoshop, and it subtracted as expected. I just don't need a random letter!
4. And/or what other Mac-compatible tool I could use to achieve same result? I'd like something I could use my existing .blend (or .dae, or .stl) object
Thanks a lot!
Re: Engraving with a rounded grove in Blender [message #84023 is a reply to message #84021 ] Wed, 29 January 2014 08:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
In my experience of Blender, if Booleans are not working it usually means that one of the Objects you are working with has flipped normals. The older versions also seem to have more problems than the newer ones.

You can visualise the normals if you wish in Edit mode, but you might as well just fix them in case. For each object involved:
- Select Object;
- Go to Edit Mode;
- Press A once or twice until all Vertices are selected;
- Select (from the Mesh Tools Menu) Normals-->Recalculate.

If you want to create profiled curves from your .svg file, after you have imported it and created the Bezier Curves, but before you convert the curves to Mesh (alt-C), you need to alter the geometry. In Edit Mode go to the Properties Menu (the standard one to the right). There select the Curve Icon. Then you will see a Geometry section where you can extrude and bevel etc. Here you can add a profile object which will allow you to shape the curve as you wish, but it was quite tricky to use, if I remember correctly - I recommend finding a video.
Re: Engraving with a rounded grove in Blender [message #84314 is a reply to message #84023 ] Mon, 03 February 2014 23:50 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mfeygel  is currently offline mfeygel
Go to all my models
Thanks! Tried all that, ended up creating a pipe of my design in Rhino 3D, exporting/importing it as .3ds and subtracting from my design.

Previous Topic:Wall thickness
Next Topic:Model with multiple parts - assigning multiple materials.