Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Support » Bug Reporting » uploading assemblies
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
uploading assemblies [message #393] Mon, 28 July 2008 13:55 UTC Go to next message
avatar mcircosta  is currently offline mcircosta
Go to all my models
I just tried uploading some of my files to compare this service with the other prototypers that I currently use.

Overall it has been pretty painless and I'm really excited about it.

My one complaint at this point would be the need to upload every part of an assembly seperately.

It would be much more convenient to combine all of the *.stl files into one *.zip, and then add descriptive text for each of the files after uploading.

This is how files are uploaded to other prototyping houses and it saves a lot of time.
Re: uploading assemblies [message #397 is a reply to message #393 ] Mon, 28 July 2008 19:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jochem  is currently offline jochem
Go to all my models
Thanks for the feedback, mcircosta. It's an interesting idea for heavy users.

Cheers,

Jochem
Re: uploading assemblies [message #529 is a reply to message #397 ] Sun, 03 August 2008 15:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar svenpb  is currently offline svenpb
Go to all my models
It is also possible to put all your items in a single STL file, right?

I found this in an other thread:

Quote:

We support multiple meshes. As long as each mesh in itself is manifold it will print. The printer will treat the model as 1 big mesh.

To ensure that all parts are firmly connected to each other you should take care that all parts are at least a 1-2 millimeters connected to each other.

If you do not connect the parts at all they will be printed separately. You can choose to put it up as one model or put each part as a separate model. There is no impact on the price either way.

Also looking at this object, I would advise to make the arms at least a 3-4 millimeters thick. Or else they can break when handled.
Re: uploading assemblies [message #551 is a reply to message #393 ] Mon, 04 August 2008 01:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mcircosta  is currently offline mcircosta
Go to all my models
This is a good solution most of the time but it still has some issues.

I tend to select different materials for the components in my assemblies. Some parts require SLS nylon to withstand impact or temperature, while the aesthetic components are SLA.

Its also common to order duplicates of delicate parts. which would require adding them into the assembly before uploading.

I really like making these selections within the current interface. It really helps me think about all of the parts.

Putting all of the components into one STL file would make these different selections hard to keep track of.

Re: uploading assemblies [message #675 is a reply to message #551 ] Wed, 06 August 2008 17:45 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Dalhimar  is currently offline Dalhimar
Go to my shop
This could also be solved by a simple Batch uploader, after selecting the original file to upload, it ask below the file location feild if you would like to select more files to upload, and if you click yes it opens several more file feilds. At least this and the .zip are the usual ways for batch uploads, but the .zip might place more strain as it would have to decompress the files beforehand.

Previous Topic:Strange folder appeared in computer
Next Topic:Trouble finding pages

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.