3D or no?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by grogbro, Jan 23, 2014.

1. grogbro
    grogbro Member
    I've been sculpting my own ~28mm miniatures using GreenStuff. The only reason I have been sculpting them by hand is because as far as I know to send away your 3d print, it has to be of a very hard material to withstand the master mould process. ie, they use massive amounts of heat to melt the rubber discs for the master moulds etc. In other words I don't just want a 'one off', but instead have a printed object I can send somewhere to be mass produced.

Any hints? I can sculpt a character much better in 3d than irl with tiny sculpting tools ;)

2. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Look into silver, brass or bronze.

3. grogbro
    grogbro Member
    So thats what I was thinking. Is that really how its done? You just have to have your initial 3d print (either from shapeways or another service) printed in a metal material?

Thanks for the help ;)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  4. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Well, I don't know anything about the process of casting from 3d Prints (or any other model for that matter) I was just making a suggestion - other people may have better ideas.

For example, in the forums I know people have discussed making casts from plastics with varying degrees of success, some methods using burn-out, some with cold-moulding techniques. Maybe try a search. But I have no personal experience, sorry.

5. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
  6. grogbro
    grogbro Member
    Yeap! that seems like a very similar process to miniature making, by bulk. I have made casts at home with cold moulds using oomoo/smoothon products etc. But its not feasible for me to make all the mini copies that way. hehe

I think you had a good idea with making a silver 'master' and sending that on. I have to research more on it. Sending an 85$+ (silver) item away, and its my only copy, would be kind of rough if it got 'lost'.

7. Silvanus
    Silvanus Well-Known Member
    Brass and bronze seem quite cheaper in everything. Why not instead of silver ?