Home » Support » 3D Design » Asking experienced users: Ball-joint, clearance, and pegs.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Asking experienced users: Ball-joint, clearance, and pegs. [message #83248] Wed, 15 January 2014 21:29 UTC
avatar Engel_Angel  is currently offline Engel_Angel
Go to my shop
Hello all, first post on SW btw :)

The following might seem a bit long, but it's just to try and explain properly. I speak French btw, so my English might not be perfect.

First: Yes, I already searched the forum ;) (and still am). I'm making a post about it because I couldn't find a definite answer so far.
For reference: I've never ordered anything on SW yet, as I own a small 1rst gen Makerbot Replicator, but I have come to a point where "layer printing" and "gravity" won't cut it anymore. I need powder-type printing at this point. Also, i use Blender, although that shouldn't matter for this post.

The project is an heavily articulated human figure, and most of my problems could be sum-up in one word: clearance. . .but there are different types of clearances.

So that you know what I'm talking about, the fig will be in 1:6 scale, and I'm looking for near life-like poseability, (kinda like an s.f.b.t-3 doll, if you know what that is). For now, I've already got quite a few ball-joint, and will probably be needing a few pegs as well (not sure about that word, a tube that you push inside another, tight enough to hold by itself, but not too tight so that you can take it out again and switch it with another)

Here are the questions I'd like to ear you guys opinion on:

1) Material: I was thinking of going with WSF, but do you think it would be okay for some of my smaller ball-joint (4mm diameter), or would one of the "detail" materials be better (are they even flexible?)?

2) Ball-joint: I was planing on using mainly (a lot of) ball-joint, but I have a serious problem: most of them will be a 6mm ball with a 2mm peg (tube coming out of the ball for linking), however I need a few in 4 mm diameter: would a 4mm ball joint be viable? or even a 6mm one? or even 2mm pegs?

3) Ball Clearance and sockets: what clearance would I need between the ball and the socket for a tight fit that you can move and pose, but that will retain the pose? I've started with 0.0mm clearance, and sockets with an X shape cut out in the middle for fitting and inter-changing parts.
Also on that subject: the sockets are 2mm thick (so for a 6mm ball, the outside diameter of the socket would be 10mm). could I reduce the sockets thickness to 1mm or would that make them too fragile ? I need them strong since I'm planning on interchangeable parts.
Also right now I have "X" sockets which gives me about 60degrees rotation in all axis, but latter on I will have sockets with only "sides holding" for bigger rotation in 2 out of 3 axis. anything I should know about those?

4) Clearance for pegs, hinges, boxes, etc: what would you say the clearance for an hinge would be for tight fitting (moves but stays when placed) and loose (moves freely). And while I'm at it, would the clearance remains the same weither it's a round inside a round (peg inside another peg) or square inside square (I'm thinking a square box)? Lastly, what would the clearance need to be between 2 pieces next to each other (for exemple, if you want to make a 2x2cm cube out of 8 smaller cubes, the smaller cubes can't be 1x1cm, they'd have to be 0.?x0.? cm (clearance?)

I think that's it, hopefully I haven't forgotten anything :D

Constructive answers would be great, as so far the forum as only provided small and sparse information bits.
Thanks in any case!

Previous Topic:whats wrong with this model?
Next Topic:Special design and packing with unique ID on our 3d filament