Home » Community » It arrived! » Square Fabric is back
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Square Fabric is back [message #83210] Wed, 15 January 2014 12:02 UTC Go to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
In March 2011, I designed my first Square Fabric. In the same period, Stop4Stuff designed his Square Maille - Flat N sampler and both models had a similar design: something flat made of square basic shapes.

So last December, when I was contacted by a journalist about this Square Fabric, I could not prevent myself from revisiting this design.

First I decided to make a new version with smaller links and smaller clearances. The previous version had a wire of 2mm with a clearance of 1mm. This time, the wire is 1.5mm and the clearance 0.5mm.
The result is the Square Fabric v2.
https://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_1568275_1939172_1389784704.jpg

I also ask Stop4Stuff the permission to design a new fabric with a link directly inspired from his own design but with a more round feeling (without going into particulars, I work with cylinders intersections).
The result is the Square Fabric v3.
https://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_1570865_1939150_1389784899.jpg

I really like how those fabrics react when you touch them.
The next step would be to take a scanned part of body, say a hand, transform it into a model made of squares and then replace each square by such a square link, in order to make a glove.

[Updated on: Wed, 29 January 2014 07:06 UTC]

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Square Fabric is back [message #83288 is a reply to message #83210 ] Thu, 16 January 2014 15:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Wahtah  is currently offline Wahtah
Go to my shop
If you can make the model with reasonably square squares all of about the same size, I can help you make the glove :)

This shows a somewhat similar fabric that is triangle based, but either of your square fabrics can be used as well.

index.php?t=getfile&id=49698&private=0

Re: Square Fabric is back [message #83293 is a reply to message #83288 ] Thu, 16 January 2014 16:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Wow, very nice heart indeed. I have also seen your woven glove.
I'd like to see a mix between the shape of the hand and the square links.
I suspect the Square Fabric v3 would also work with triangles in addition to squares. This would be a big help, because most of the time you get models made of triangles rather than squares.

Re: Square Fabric is back [message #83355 is a reply to message #83293 ] Fri, 17 January 2014 08:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Wahtah  is currently offline Wahtah
Go to my shop
That's right, v3 will work with squares and triangles, even with a combination of the two. I was wrong about v2 though, it can't be used because it doesn't have four fold rotational symmetry. That won't work in places like the corner of a cube where three links meet.

I don't have something like v3 programmed in yet, but that's the easy bit. The hard part is getting the input model all nice and isotropic...
Re: Square Fabric is back [message #84007 is a reply to message #83355 ] Tue, 28 January 2014 23:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
In the meantime, please check this video: http://youtu.be/IOl2wLmDL4A
You can see successively the original Square Fabric, the v2 and the v3.

Re: Square Fabric is back [message #84056 is a reply to message #84007 ] Wed, 29 January 2014 19:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
In my original post I mentioned being contacted by a journalist.
The article of Home and Textiles Today featuring Shapeways and the original square fabric is here:
http://www.homeandtextilestoday.com/article/570808-3D_Printi ng_Redesigns_Housewares_Design.php
Even more interesting, you can also check the entire magazine, and in particular from page 34 to page 40 (skip the two pages of ads :))
http://progressivebusinessmedia.com/hometextiles/flip/HTT_01 _01_14/HTT_01_01_14.html#p=34

Re: Square Fabric is back [message #84063 is a reply to message #84056 ] Wed, 29 January 2014 21:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar seriaforma  is currently offline seriaforma
Go to my shop
This stuff is really cool.
Re: Square Fabric is back [message #97204 is a reply to message #84063 ] Wed, 27 August 2014 18:02 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Hi there,

Here are two other concepts of Fabric Swatch.
The first one, that I received time ago, but for some reasons, I did not post a message about it.
It is called Double-Eight Fabric, because of its basic link shape.
index.php?t=getfile&id=69410&private=0

And the second one I received recently, the Hexa Fabric (nearly the same concept but with a 3-fold symmetry instead of a 2-fold, and two basic links):
index.php?t=getfile&id=69411&private=0

Both are very flexible and react very nicely.

• Attachment: IMG_7080.JPG
    (Size: 136.17KB, Downloaded 100 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_7165.JPG
    (Size: 819.84KB, Downloaded 97 time(s))

Previous Topic:The Original Golden Age Black Terror vs. Killer Robot Figurine
Next Topic:Yet another Pi case!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.