Foodsafe materials

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 423715_deleted, Jan 13, 2014.

1. I was going fast through the material data, later through the forums to find some info,
    but this info isn't stated very well, certainly not in the material portfolio.

So the question is easy: what printing material is food safe,
    except for the glazed ceramics ?

And while at it: what kind of clay is used for the 3D printing ?
    A lot of clay is food-safe when fired ...
    Why not make porcelain part of the materials portfolio ?
    That's quaranteed food-safe without any glazing.

2. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    The answer is also easy - none, at Shapeways.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  3. what a shame ...

at least one metal would have been wonderfull.

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Well, silver would qualify, except that you will not get shapeways to claim it is "certified food safe". (And of course all the drawbacks
    of using silver - rapid tarnishing from any food that contains sulfur (proteins) and both tarnishing and pitting from table salt.)
    The main concern with the plastic materials is that they are all very porous, so you will either need a (certified food safe) varnish that
    sticks to the nylon or acrylic material, or wrap the part in aluminum foil for use if feasible (e.g. cookie cutters)

5. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    The sintered metals (the stainless steel based ones) also have the problem of porosity. The plated ones might initially be fine but any breach in the plating would then be problematic. In any case the only material SW regard as food safe is ceramic, and even then only the glazed portion.

If you search the forums for cookie cutters you might find a reference to a coating some people have experimented with to render the cutters food safe. If I remember correctly it is used in the German wine industry for treating barrels.

6. wedge
    wedge Member
    I use a food save Varnish to use pWSF i.a. for Cookie cutters. So it is no more porose. But this is a manual step of painting.

7. Was more thinking like a teapot for example: holding cooking water.
    Can't do it with most plastics.

Steel printing and adding "a few" extra plated layers could do the trick if shapeways would offer this in their material selection.

And why steel over ceramics ?
    I'm under the impression that more detailed and precise work can be done with steel,
    did someone ever make this test ?