Pleasantly surprised at strength of materials

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ehmatthes, Jan 9, 2014.

1. ehmatthes
    ehmatthes Member
    Two years ago I was just returning to work after being at home for my son's birth, and the first few months of his life. I started facetiming with my wife and my son at lunchtime, and I got tired of propping up my iphone while eating. 3d printing to the rescue, I designed a stand for my phone so I could facetime hands-free while eating lunch. I am a high school math and science teacher, so I designed the stand with simple molecular structures in mind:

[​IMG]

I had it printed, and it came out really nicely:

[​IMG]

My surprise? Now that my son is almost 3 years old, he watches videos on one of our old phones. My wife put the phone on the stand one day in front of him, and I cringed because I assumed it would break after 10 minutes in front of a toddler. I was happily surprised to see that the design and the materials have been strong enough to withstand months of use by a toddler. I love that he plays around with it, and it stays together. I won't be surprised to see it break any day, but it has held up way beyond my expectations.

Now that my son is a bit older and is starting to do more things independently, I am very happy to have time for some modeling again. Also, I will be very excited when he is old enough to start making models together!

Happy modeling!

[​IMG]

2. Ronsaki
    Ronsaki Well-Known Member
    What a happy post :)