Rhino 3D Mac converting STL problems

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by Sputnikk, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Sputnikk
    Sputnikk Member
    Hello.
    I am having an issues with my Rhino 3D files uploading to Shapeways, and it might be an issue with the STL conversion. I know that Rhino uses another type of meshing, but I did not think it would be an issue when going to print.

Anyway, the big issue that I have found so far is the round objects are coming out square. Is there anything I am missing on the converstion that would cause this? Anyone have advice it would be great. Here is the object, and you can see the launcher are square with a round top.

[​IMG]

Thanks
    Eric

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    We cannot see your model unless you set it to "public". Check the mesh tolerance settings for stl export, a quick google search suggests that they live under File->Properties->Units.

3. Sputnikk
    Sputnikk Member
    Sorry. Its updated.

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Guess they are square in rhino as well - but with fancy lighting/shading to make them look round. Did you find anything like "maximum angle" or "deviation distance" to play with in the settings ? If you do not want to upload each time just to see if it improved in any way,
    get netfabb studio basic from netfabb.com.

5. Sputnikk
    Sputnikk Member
    I figured it out.
    I needed to increate the resolution in the transfer from .001 to .000001. It makes the files huge but increases the quality.

Thanks all.
    Eric