Home » Support » 3D Applications » Rhino 3D Mac converting STL problems
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Rhino 3D Mac converting STL problems [message #82818] Wed, 08 January 2014 21:00 UTC Go to next message
avatar Sputnikk  is currently offline Sputnikk
Go to my shop
Hello.
I am having an issues with my Rhino 3D files uploading to Shapeways, and it might be an issue with the STL conversion. I know that Rhino uses another type of meshing, but I did not think it would be an issue when going to print.

Anyway, the big issue that I have found so far is the round objects are coming out square. Is there anything I am missing on the converstion that would cause this? Anyone have advice it would be great. Here is the object, and you can see the launcher are square with a round top.

https://images.shapeways.com/model/picture/674x501_1597904_1940808_1389150374.jpg

Thanks
Eric
Re: Rhino 3D Mac converting STL problems [message #82823 is a reply to message #82818 ] Wed, 08 January 2014 22:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
We cannot see your model unless you set it to "public". Check the mesh tolerance settings for stl export, a quick google search suggests that they live under File->Properties->Units.
Re: Rhino 3D Mac converting STL problems [message #82824 is a reply to message #82823 ] Wed, 08 January 2014 22:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Sorry. Its updated.
Re: Rhino 3D Mac converting STL problems [message #82858 is a reply to message #82824 ] Thu, 09 January 2014 09:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Guess they are square in rhino as well - but with fancy lighting/shading to make them look round. Did you find anything like "maximum angle" or "deviation distance" to play with in the settings ? If you do not want to upload each time just to see if it improved in any way,
get netfabb studio basic from netfabb.com.
Re: Rhino 3D Mac converting STL problems [message #83377 is a reply to message #82858 ] Fri, 17 January 2014 15:38 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I figured it out.
I needed to increate the resolution in the transfer from .001 to .000001. It makes the files huge but increases the quality.

Thanks all.
Eric

Previous Topic:3D printing model made in Blender
Next Topic:Maya 2014 > OpenCOLLADA Export

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.